Fish Chowdah

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by floundahman, Mar 10, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I moved to NC from MA in 2001. That's when I took up catfish fishing. It was the closest thing to the fishing I did in salt water rivers for stripers, bluefish, scup and tautaug. Thing is that I have always fried or grilled (in aluminum foil) the catfish that I keep. Chowder in any form is rare here and I had a hankerin' for some today. My wife and I went fishing this morning and caught a bunch of small channel cats and bullheads (11-13"). We kept 6 of them to experiment with. The chowdah (as I used to say) was excellent so I thought I'd share the recipe in case anyone else is looking for a different way to "fix" their fish (especially the smaller ones).

This recipe made enough catfish chowdah for 4-5 people.

4 cleaned (not filleted) catfish, skin removed.
    place the fish in a medium saucepan and cover with water @ 1" above the top of the fish, 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning, 4 drops hot sauce (Texas Pete, Tabasco, etc), 2 whole carrots, and 1/2 onion peeled,1 stalk of celery, and salt and pepper to taste. This is for making the stock. Cook over med-low heat (don't boil) for 1 hour. Remove the fish, carrots, celery and onion from the liquid. Flake the meat off the bones with a fork. Add meat back to pan. While the stock is simmering you want to make a roux. Place 1 stick of butter or magarine in another pan, lightly saute the other 1/2 onion chopped, and 1 stalk of celery chopped. when onions become translucent add 4 oz flour and stir, cook for @ 1 min. stirring constantly. Slowly add cooked roux to stock stirring as you add it, add cooked diced potatoes (we cut up canned potatoes) Turn the temp up to med high and stir occasionally. the stock should thicken in a few minutes. Just prior to serving add 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 or milk. Taste the chowder before serving and adjust seasoning if necessary.
    Enjoy

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, this recipe is posted on our fridge ... all ready for the next catch.
    Was really lookin forward to trying it out with what we didn't catch today - lol. Sure sounds good! Thanks, Jim :cool2:

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Stop you are KILLING me.I Love chowdah and I'm not even from Maine.Clam chowder (NE) is my favorite soup,ok maybe lobster bisque,no wait she crab,well anyway.CALL me next time since you are right here in NC.I live right on the coast and can contribute shrimp,scallops,oysters,clams and a variety of fish,:big_smile: :lol: "HAVE BOWL WILL TRAVEL"!!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2:

4. SlowPoke

SlowPoke New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sound grate and i just got sum yesterday on ice out i will try it.

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I see you're new and just wanted to say Welcome to the BOC, Terry...
    look forward to reading your posts... enjoy! And congratulations on your catch yesterday :006:

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jim,

I did it! :lol: Just took a sample and it's delicious, even made with sand bass, instead of cat - lol.

And yes, for those who don't weigh dry goods on a scale...
    4 ounces of flour is 1 cup.

Super recipe... thanks, Jim - and for all your help :smile2: