Fish Catch from third weekend of March

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SeaArk1, Mar 21, 2006.

1. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    Went fishing on Friday below Truman dam on Friday afternoon and caught the 4.5 pound Walleye and limit of crappie. (see pic of walleye)

Went back Saturday morning to the dam and caught another limit of crappie and one walleye that was half inch too short.

Went snagging with a buddy after I came back from the dam and we snagged 4. (49.5lbs, 43lbs, 36lbs and 29.5lbs)(see pic of two biggest spoonbill)

Went fishing with same buddy on Sunday down at Ozarks and caught our limit of crappie. Best size average of the winter but we didnt catch as many as we have been doing. We weighed the best 10 crappie and the basket weighed 9lbs 13oz. 18 of the fish were over 11 inches long. (see pic of crappie)

Had a great weekend although is was a little cold! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Good job - glad somebody was catching fish.

I was down there last Friday afternoon below the dam also, 2 hours and not a single bite so I went home. Was hoping to find some walleye and used yellow, white and chartreuse curly tail grubs as well as 4" sassy shad. Tried all kinds of retrieves - bouncing on the bottom, fast, slow, jerking, all to no avail. Clearly, I don't know what I'm doing - no surprise, BTW...

Saw another guy fishing for crappie and he'd catch one every 20 minutes or so, which seemed like a lot of work to me for no more than he was getting out of it.

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That does it. I'm fishing this weekend regardless.

4. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are making me envious. I have not wet a line since December.--paddle:0a17:

5. elvenbane1

elvenbane1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wish I could the pic!

6. matthewjoel

matthewjoel New Member

I need to try snagging never done it but dont know where to go and dont have a boat.:crying:

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    That's gonna be some fine eatin' (them crappie) do y'all eat the spoonbill also ? I've never seen one other than in pictures.

8. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    If y'all want to catch a limit of nice slabs give me a shout, I'll show you where they are. some days are slower than others, but if you go read my post on whites and hybrids you aren't too far off from my favorite crappie hole...

As far as spoonies are concerned. It;s been pretty slow on the extreme upper LOZ, ,there are a few here and there, but they are just now realy starting to head up to this area. I've spotted maybe 15-20 decent sized spoons on this part of the river in the past 2 weeks (so sayeth the graph). After the first 3-4 days from the opening all the big locals were caught out. But with 54 degreee surface temps now starting to be the norm they are starting to head this way from down river and the lake.

So if you are gonna be down this way and want to do some fishing, wheter it be cats, crappie, whites/hybrids, or otherwise.. send me a PM and I will put you in the right spot, or take you there.

Either way, We'll catch some fish. The good times are back ON and the fish are moving again. Don't forget new line and to grease them reels!!!

9. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    A lot of people eat spoonbill but our group rarely cooks any up to eat. I receive a request from time to time from someone else for a bag or two and I gladly oblige. There is only a small percentage, in my opinion, of good white meat on a spoonbill. They have no bones in them so you end up with a lot of meat but you have to spend a fairly good amount of time cutting the red meat off of each steak you cut off. The white part is not too bad but if you can eat crappie any time of year I would much rather eat crappie!

Gonna go snaggin again this Saturday with about 12 people. I don’t care if I snag any fish or not. I only go for the good times with friends and to introduce someone new to snagging.