Fish Camps

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rbms, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Rbms

Rbms New Member

State:
    Central Mississippi
    Hello all. My brother and I are looking at some "fish camps" this weekend. He has really got it in his head that he wants to buy a lot in one of these things. They are along the big muddy in MS. I have never been a member of a fish camp, but have been in deer camps since birth. I figured they are similar, with less politics. If anyone has advice or experience or opinions, please send them my way. It sounds like fun, but I would like to know exactly what I am getting into. Thanks.

2. Rbms

Rbms New Member

State:
    Central Mississippi
    So none of you are currently or have ever been in a fish camp? I find that hard to believe. :confused2:

We looked at a real nice place over in LA. Most of the car tags were from MS. Actually, I think that side of the river may be MS. I didn't get a lot of information though, so I am still not sure exactly how these things work.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I remember right, the last time I was in a fish camp was back in the mid 1950s, and was in Tennessee. I'd be more than happy to tell you about it, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Dang I had never heard about a fish camp till just now my interest is peeked if anyone has any info I would be happy to hear it also and Jerry i would love to hear your stories

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Russell, my wife, in laws and I have had a fish camp since last August. It is on the banks of the Ohio about twenty miles from my home. The camp consisted of a 8X40 house trailer, an outside toilet, and a small shed for a mower and storage. Unfortunatley we rented the lot from an older couple that have rented the river bottom in lots for over 40 years. There is approximately two dozen lots at the river bottom. Everyone there had a nice little camp and most of them kept their camps in great order. The bad part is the gentlemen that we rented the lot from passed away a couple of months ago, then a fellow riding a ATV and drinking had a bad accident on the property one night. Now the wife and kids in fear of a law suit are making everyone move out. I can't say I blame them with the way things are today. It just sucks, cause now two dozen camps are gonna have to be moved. We decided to sell our trailer and just give up. The older gentleman was friends of the family and had let us rent really cheap. All the other lots available in the area are more than twice the lot rent. I can tell you because of all of this, that if you can find a camp to buy and have the money, you will not regret it. They make for a great retreat to get away from the house. Most of the folks that had camps near us didn't even fish, lots of them didn't even have any watercraft of any kind. One suggestion I may make to you is to try and get a place as close to home as possible. With the price of gas it would be the obvious choice. Also you would be suprised at how hard you can get to find when you are only a few miles away from home. Also, be prepared to do a little more yard work and some minor restoration and repairs. It takes a little work to keep a camp in order, but it is well worth it. Vern

6. Rbms

Rbms New Member

State:
    Central Mississippi
    Thanks for the info Vern. I greatly appreciate it. And I definitly will not be renting. I hate renting and haven't rented anything since I got out of college. And I agree about finding one close to the house. I was in a deercamp one time that took a couple of hours to get to. It was not very fun. Thanks again.