Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FishBox :Used to keep fish alive until you have enough to clean. Typically have a lockable door and submerge it out of sight and tied to tree roots. Most i had seen wooden frames with wire sides that would only last a couple years of being in the water. I made mine from from a blue 55 gallon plastic drum. I cut a square piece out of the top and attached it with door hinges on one side and a hasp with a spring pin on the other. I tied a lanyard to the spring pin so i wouldn't lose it to the river.

Next I took a reamer and drilled 1" holes all over the barrel spaced just a couple inches apart. Perhaps a hole saw would be better due to the mess the reamer made. When you think there's enough, drill twice as many more. The barrel will not break and it saves your back when lifting it out of the water.

I ran a nylon rope through 2 holes at the top and 2 at the bottom to form a sling. When the barrel is in the river this allows you to pull up from bottom or top if it becomes hung up. it also allows me the ability to pull the barrel up the bank via truck and tow rope if i have alot of cats in there.

It's rot proof and UV resistant. I get free barrels so i have maybe 5 dollars and six pack in it and it'll last longer than me.

I plan on making smaller ones to keep bluegills in when i'm baiting lines.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I made a nice bait box out of heavy duty 1/2"x1/2" square chicken wire/fence.

I think my final dimensions were 18" tall x. 32" wide and 48" long. Ive got a nice spring fed creek that I keep it tied up in. I just used heavy duty zip ties at the joints. That thing is built like a tank. Really came out way more rigid/solid than I expected.

Making that thing was a huge game changer for me. I dont keep much as far as eating them but I could keep a mess of eaters alive forever in that thing. I use it to keep my bait, ive kept a handful of trout, 50 bluegills and half dozen huge suckers all in it at once. Pretty much had it filled up all summer and never had problems with it.

I like the barrel type also, thats what my dad uses. Only trouble with his is that when the creek gets rippin, it drags water real bad even with a bunch of holes drilled in it. Thats why I went with the chicken wire. The creek I have mine in can get roaring and my cage stays put.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I like the idea for baitfish. Not so sure for cats. Guess I dont have a need to keep cats if I'm gonna clean em. The bait idea would work great since I live on the water.

OK, it's not for everybodys style. There are some people that catch ALOT of cats running lines and know exactly what i'm talking bout. I don't clean 2 or 3 fish. I'll clean 100 or more at the end of the weekend. You want to keep them in the same water and keep them alive. Barrels is great for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts