Fish batter or breading..

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by bownero, Jan 24, 2009.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I would like to know what's your favorite fish breading or batter. Recipes welcome. Tonight, I cooked up some crappie using Cajun Shore Lunch and it turned out great. A little spicy, but just the right amount for my tastebuds. I also like Louisiana Fish Fry for catfish and other fish too.

post your favorites!!:wink:
    Thanks.
    Mark..

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I use breading I usually use Zataran's or the House Autry brands. I sometimes use a beer batter too, I think that recipes in the BOC recipe area.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'll use flour sometimes but not much of a bread/batter fan myself. It just holds to much oil for my taste.

4. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Andy's out of St Louis, also have Chicken breading. Sometimes we smear mustard ofer the fish before we bread and fry them.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Other than homemade (okay, so maybe it's better than homemade in this case :wink:), HOUSE AUTRY all the way!!!

Problem is, I don't think you can buy it in Nebraska buddy. Your loss. :sad2:

Ozzy, I like to coat my fillets with buttermilk, then dip 'em in House Autry. The coating isn't at all BREADY/BATTERY, it's very light.

6. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Put some Betty Crocker Potato Buds in a ziploc bag and crush them up real fine, throw in just enough of your favorite seasonings, I prefer some type of creole seasoning or Old Bay. Dip the fish, whole or fillited, into egg and milk mixture (I use 2 or 3 eggs and add enough milk to thin it out some and stir it up good), place fish in bag and toss around to coat it, drop it into a hot skillet bout half full of oil or into a deep fryer wtih oil just a shade over 300 degrees, you may have to adjust your heat a little depending on thickness of the fish but 300 usualy works good for me. Fry until golden brown, take out of oil and drain. Serve it up with some french fries or hushpuppies and a bunch of cocktail and tartar sauce and sweet tea. Or my personal favorite is to throw it between two pieces of bread with some texas pete hot sauce and cocktail sauce and have a catfish sandwich. I have also been told that you can bake fish this way and it's pretty good but there's something about being from the south and baking fish that just don't seem right.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My favorite is my homemade concotion,half flour/cornmeal mix ,then add ground red pepper,garlic powder,steak seasoning, cajun seasoning black pepper.

8. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    8 eggs 1 can of moutain dew dip and roll in house of autry sea food breading (double dip in both) deep fry and start beatin the kids away from the plate when their done cookin...Thats what happens at my house.Also the house of autry hush puppie mix with onions,mix it up too with moutain dew dont use water...That alone will make the youngins fight lol..