FISH BASKETS

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by jlawson435, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jlawson435

jlawson435 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My boss does alot of pay lake fishing. He has been wanting to get a fish basket on wheels. He said he goes to the pay lakes and all these guys have these square cages things with wheels. They just open them up throw the fish in and roll it back down it the water. I have never seen these before I always use a live well, but some of the guys were wanting to find on for his xmas present. I said if any one in KY new of these things someone on here might. Caught 4 pretty good ones the other day below the dam here in Louisville just froze to death doing it. Think I;m about done for the winter, can't take the cold any more. But had fun just catch and release them down there biggest was 17 lbs.

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think those fish baskets are custom made for the need of the paylake fishermen. I have seen them made of 1" welded wire with wheel kits that you can pick up at Lowes attached for ease of transporting.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good luck finding it Jim. Haven't seen those before. Welcome to the BOC.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Your portable basket question is a neat idea of which I have never seen. I would also guess that you could have one custom made.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have one that i use to get all my stuff cross the foot bridge at ozark arkansas but i made mine out of an old wheel chair frame.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Like Jhonnie says it would be easly made

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    All I've ever seen was made buy the person with them. Home made in other words.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I used to pay lake some and there where lot's of guy's that had them . Maybe if you can get some paylake telephone numbers that might be someone else that might be able to help you .

9. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Commercial cages made of PVS coated wire are available in a variety of sizes. The cages are commonly used in saltwater for holding bait fish of several pounds.

Try a Google search on Fish Holding Cages.

I did not see any mods with wheels but one of the inexpensive take down two wheel carts might be sturdier and easier than making something yourself.

Good luck with the search

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I brought one of them this summer from a guy who had homemade 3 of them from fenceing wire. I went to Lowes or Home depot to buy some hardware, a drywall mud pan for storeage & 4 wheels from a lawnmower
    junkyard. A $20 basket, $17 for hardware & $2 for wheels is one less load to carry. Just pull & push! I've never thought about it but I should put a photo on my profile.:wink:

11. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC.

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Here is the photo of the fish basket that I brought this summer & customized just a little bit. I hope that you enjoy the photo & take the time to make your own or ask someone to help you. They're not hard to make!:wink:

Attached Files:

13. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    David thanks for sharing. Definitely a neat idea. Appreciaed. Reps.[/B]

14. jlawson435

jlawson435 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot a big help

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    most pay lakes sell these baskets for around 20 bucks with out wheels. I have seen people use wheel kits from a hardware store I've seen people use an althread rod and just buy the wheels from the wal mart lawn and garden department. and I have seen a few just straped to what I call grocery carts (little carts you mostly see older ladies pulling around in stores or down the side walk)

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I was given an grocery basket that had been damaged. The manager didn't want it saying that he'll most likely throw it away. I told him I might have use of it & he offered to give it to me. The thumbnail is what I had been able to do with it.

Attached Files:

17. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Looking good David. That should do the trick.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Dave
    That looks like one sturdy basket . That will hold a ton of fish.

19. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    This idea is TOO COOL !!!! Anybody else got any pics ???

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tell me again why this is a good idea?:confused2::big_smile: