Fish Basket Info here in Alabama!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by GrayGhost, Aug 7, 2007.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm just starting to fish with Fish Baskets and was wondering if any one of Y'all might be able to help me out I need to no how many can I have I no I have to tag them and have a Licenses for them but thats about all I know any help would be nice. And what would be good for bait for them.

2. catfish36301

catfish36301 New Member

State:
    Dothan Alabama
    I belive you can have 4 baskets they have to be made of wood and tagged with name , address and lic. #

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the only guy i knew who fished baskets used this really nasty cheeze. he bought it by the barrell.

4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Made of wood I thought you could use wire baskets I'll have to call the game warden to find out about that Thanks. As for the Cheeze bait I found some of that in 5 Gallon I'm thinking about buying it and giving it a shot it's only $15 can't hurt I had someone tell me about cottonseed mill cakes they said it worded good has anyon of Y'all heard of it?

5. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yes, cottenseed mill works but the water has to be warm so it will sour.
    Cheese works in any temp water and the best fishing seems to be in cool water, winter and spring.
    I know old men who will use old bread loaves, watermelon, corn/shucks anythng from the garden that will sour. They catch fish in them, but they also know where to fish them. You just can't throw it in the water and catch fish, not nearly that easy.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I remember my grandfather using some kind of brick cheese that smelled to high heaven but for the life of me I think it was linberger but not sure. :tounge_out:

7. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you fish with baskets in AL,they must be made of wire and you must have seperate license.It will cost you 2 bucks a piece,and you can have up to four baskets.They must be tagged with name,address,and license #.If you fish with Slat (wooden) box's you must have a commercial license.

8. GrayGhost

GrayGhost New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for all your help:0a31: Any tips on where would be good places to put them in rivers would close to log jams be good or what?

9. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You HAVE to have a tag to run baskets, PERIOD. As stated above you can get a noncommercial license for up to 4 for a year for cheap.

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Also remember for these types of questions, when you click on the link for your state you can then click on the State Agencies Link we have provided for each state and find answers there for your state.

11. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The number you can have varies as to where you are. For instance, I live near Lake Jordan. I can have one in the Elmore section of Jordan, but I can have 4 each on the Chilton county side and 4 on the Coosa county side. Call the Game and Fish office. That's where I got my info. The tags are $2.00 PER basket.

The commercial licenses are $100 and those must be made of wooden slat boxes.

12. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    If you are fishing for channel catfish, we bait with cheese logs in La. Contact The Fish Net Company for a free Catalog. Has everything you need for cat fishing. http://www.fishnetco.com/ You will need bait bags also.

13. bullet

bullet New Member

State:
    alabama
    i used to fish with baskets on guntersville, I used to be able to get cheese (the worst smelling cheese you ever smelled) i got it at the feed and seed store on blount avenue. i bought these hand made wooden baskets from a guy near albertville they were almost a piece of art. i dont know where you can get baskets anymore. you have to check them everyday youll get turtles and muskrats in there too.

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    J.D.

Must have been limburger cheese ?