Fish bait while I was a child!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Mar 8, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been sittin here thinkin and memories just sometimes come flooding back! When I was about 14 years old,I remember my Age because my 34 y/o niece was 6 months old and we were all together with friends and family that we went to Church with,and also went camping on the lake. I got the biggest bang ouuta goin to the dock on the lake and I'd have a slice of bread. I'd pinch just a tiny dab of it and roll it up into a ball and place it on a tiny hook. I'd drop it into the water and it was swarmed by bluegill that were only maybe 3 inches long! I could spend hours doin that. Of course ,I now realize,that these lil fish were bait fish but man they were fun to catch!! I also remember the same day,the ladies were all cookin a huge fishfry for supper that night. We didn't know it but we were in the path of either a tornado or huge windstorm. My dad's friend (Now both deceased) was sittin in his lawn chair and says folks I think we need to get in the tents it's startin to rain.We get inside the tents and man it hit full force.Joe,My dad's friend looked at all of us and said "Every able bodied person put your weight into the wind and push on these tent walls or we're goin in the lake." Man I remember Dad and I and Joe's son Kenny pushin with all we had,water pourin and soakin us to where we were drenched. I remember a tree limb swingin in pretty good sized and caught kenny upside the head.Almost knocked him out cold.His dad seen it and screamed push Kenny push.I think it's the only thing that kept him from passing out. Well when it was over,we all came out drowneded rats and our supper and cooking supplys tables everything was gone. Huge tree's had been literally uprooted,and someones green canoe was wrapped 3or4 times around a light pole. I tell ya haven't been thru a wind storm till ya go thru one in a tent. But God seen fit to spare our lives and I'm thankful He did cause now I have my wonderful BOC family that I talk too an read jokes which make me cry with laughter and read all kinds of very interesting information. Also I have been privledged to meet Pee Wee Williams who has given me permission to refer to him as Grandpa. What a wonderful man, so full of wisdom it leaves me speechless,what a wonderful BOC family! Hope ya don't mind just wanted to share some memories. have a wonderful evening!!:smile2:

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I remember when I was about 5 or 6, the old man kept throwing me out of the boat into the lake. I thought he was trying to use me for fish bait, but later learned it was his way of teaching me to swim. :big_smile:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A lot of times I would go to the pond with a rod and a few hooks and a slice of white bread (Wonder worked the best. It's so soft and it molds into nice tight little balls). We'd catch all the golden shiners with the bread that we wanted, plus some bluegills or bullhead. Sometimes we'd cut up one of the shiners into tiny pieces and use that for bait and just keep fishing until it was time (past time usually) to go home for dinner.

This pond (where I grew up - I tend to say it that way. "I grew up at the pond" because I spent so much time there) was about 1/4 mile from my back door. When I was late for dinner, Dad would stand on our back step and yell for me "JOOOHHNNNN ... DIIINNNNNEERRRR" When I got around to walking home again, every neighbor I'd pass would say "Hey John, I heard your Dad call you. It's time for dinner." (Or more like, "I heard your Dad call you a whiile back. I think your late for dinner.")

We are shaped a lot by the way we grow up. I'm a little sad for my son and a bit worried sometimes, that instead of "growing up at the pond" he's growing up with his Gameboy and Cartoon Network and his DS.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sir I am in total agreement with you Sir, I fear and am sad for my girls also. There is just too much progress and our children have never been taught the simple way of life. You have made a most excellent point. Reps to you!:big_smile:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Oh, please don't call me "Sir." It makes me feel old! I have more and more "blond" hairs coming in with my beard each winter, but I still feel like a teenager, at heart. (I'm still waiting to grow up.) Hey! Maybe the addition of those "blonde" hairs in my beard and at my temples explains how spacey and scatterbrained I'm getting lately!