Fish attractant on live bait??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by amatuer cat catcher, Aug 15, 2006.

1. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    would it be useless to putt some cod liver oil on some live gills i was thinking they could track it better

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't yhink the oil would stay on very long. It doesn't have anything to cling to.

3. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    like laidbck111 said, it won't last too long, just use the bluegills plain, maybe snip some fins off if you want more scent.

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If you soaked a peace of nylon twine in the oil and tied it to the leader your oil would last for a good while, and yes I feel that it would attrack them to the live bait as they would come right up the oil trail.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i think fish would shy away from a bluegill or any live bait that they have always known what to smell and taste like,that smells or tasted way out of the ordinary.but im not a catfish so i cant say for sure so i would say go ahead and give it a try.

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I can promise they want shy away from it. They will come to see what is there and find the bule gill. Been there and do that. Got a metal for it too.:big_smile: :big_smile:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post reps for ya bro!-------------pk powell:smile2:

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I try to keep my bait as real as possible. I don't think that flatheads would like that stuff very much!

Josh

9. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I know for a fact that it will work. My grandfather has been doing that for years. He uses nylon drops and soaks them in the fish oil and catches alot of big fish while using it. He and his brother caught several 40 pounders and 1 62 pound Flathead last year and several 30 and 40 pounders this year so far. Give it a try like Tony suggested and see if you like the results.