fish are up n down

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by mrwhiskr, May 17, 2008.

1. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Shad are slow to catch but blues ae good onshad heads

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report

3. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    those shad heads are hard to beat! we like to offer three differnt baits, heads, fillets and whole shad:wink:

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    FISHING IN SO. ALABAMA IS WAY OFF , THE WATER IS UP AND DOWN WILL NOT STAY AT ANY LEVEL FOR MORE THAN A DAY OR TWO

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you know, Steven, i have never done any good with shad heads. i have fished elbow to elbow with people catching cats with shad head, but not me:eek:oooh:

when the shad are plentiful, i cut the head and tail off and use the gut pocket....lots of success with that:big_smile:

interesting how one guy has a ton of luck and the man next to him can't catch a cold:smile2:

6. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we use small heads, but i fish with a guy who uses big shad heads. i know some guys use cut bait but i rather use filets than the cut. i guess its what works best in your area

7. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we`ve had so much rain here in eastern okla. the problem is run off, levels are up on feeder lakes, creeks and rivers it has messed up the sand bass run, crappie are off a little and there is so much current on the arkansas it takes a volkswagon to ancor out, 3oz. lead just rolls all your lines up in a wad. but there is one thing about it here in oklahoma the weather never stays the same, by the middle of july it will be hot and dry and too hot to ancor out thats when the jugs will come out

8. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In addition to the 3 types of shad mentioned I like to use the gut pockets as well.

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have great confidence in shad heads... and good confidence in the headless, tailless shad body. I have even more confidence in any chunk of skipjack I got on the hook!

I find that a bait in which I have most confidence is fished more often with more care and consequently catches more fish! Curious... :confused2:

10. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    One question, where do you catch the skipjack in Oklahoma, to use for bait? I've caught skipjack in the bay of Texas but not in fresh water.

11. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I heard of people catching them below and around the lock and dams. I have not, they tell me you have to fish with white curley tails or soft plastic jigs and the like.

If anyone eles has any good places and methods on catching skip, let us know.

12. 70sdiver

70sdiver New Member

State:
    washington
    cant seem to locate any catfisherman in eastern wa.Guess I will start my own catfish eastern wa club.Shad are just starting to come up the columbia but the river is very blown out I'm hoping next weekend it will drop enough to fish.