fish and geese

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by eyeguy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I can't tell if anyone is looking here anymore or not but what the heck here goes: Rain, rain and more rain but we went fishing and goose hunting anyway. We did not spend a lot of time fishing as the geese were on our minds, however, friends of ours were at the campground and they caught seven nice channel cats. The Mrs. and I spent our time hunting and we did bring home two geese. There were plenty of birds but it is impossible to be in just the right place all of the time. But we managed to be in the right place some of the time. The season ends today and I had to work so the geese get a break.
    Is anyone in Michigan still cat fishing? Is anyone in Michigan still checking this site? Hello.............. is anybody out there? Is this thing working or am I typing to myself? Hello.......................................:confused2:
    eyeguy

2. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    kinda put the catfishing stuff up and been salmon fishing got 6 salmon in the last 3 week might get the catfishing stuff back out soon

3. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Congrats on the salmon fishing, man when they are running they are a blast to catch and makes for a lot of good eats. I understand putting the catfishing gear away for a while, with all the small game seasons and the salmon run its hard to focus on any one thing for long. I love this time of year with all the choices of outdoor activities. If I had to make a choice for a weekend of hunting or fishing I believe I would opt for the hunting. Duck and goose season opens the 4th of October, bow season starts the first and on and on so fishing for cats is going to have to wait a while. Up here once the hunting seasons are over the ice will be on the water and I don't know where to go for cats then. Sooooooo it will be coyote hunting and ice fishing for gills and eyes till the river opens up again in the spring then back to fishin cats.
    Have fun and stay posted.
    eyeguy

4. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    i know what you mean. there is to much thing going on in the outdoors. good luck on the hunting and fishing

5. Army_Chief

Army_Chief New Member

State:
    Texas
    You guys are making me homesick. Joined the Army in 1989 and really haven't had the opportunity to get back there during the fall since.....

6. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sorry about that, Michigan is a great place in the fall. We went camping this weekend to get a duck blind ready for season opener and while there we caught four nice channel cats. Man the weather was perfact, blue skies, sunshine, temps in the high 60's to 70 and the leaves about 50% in color. Man what a place. The park we go to was basically empty with only a couple others camping so we had the place to ourselves. Across the river is rolling hills about 600 feet high and the color was magnificent. The water was like a mirror as there wasn't even a breeze, not so much as a ripple on the water, WOW, unbelievable. The Mrs. took a ton of pictures and even though they are nice they can't duplicate the beauty of that place. Our only regret is that it is almost over and then on to winter. Lots of things to do between now and then but this season just goes too fast. Sorry you can't be here, but, you are doing a service for your country and we do appreciate it, THANK YOU. I spent four years in the Air Force during the Viet Nam war and even though I did not go there I remember the long periods of time when I could not go home to Michigan. Since coming home I have been away for about a year at most and was reminded of how much I love this place. I hope you get home soon.
    eyeguy

7. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I moved to texas about 15 year ago! Its been hard to give up Michigan espacially come hunting season! The fishing in Texas is pretty good, they plant everything. I do miss the rockbass, wading in the Cass river and Perry creek, I also miss sitting on the Frankenmuth dam and fishing for carp with shreaded wheat durning the summer. I returned a few times for fishing and hunting, but now its just for visiting with family. I'm planning one more hunting trip to Shiawassee flats, its by drawing only so that will be trip made if I'm drawn. Texas does have good hunting you just have to pay for it!!
    Ps The main reason I left Michigan (other than the money) was the winters, you can keep them!!! There pretty to look at but a post card will do!!

8. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm still here, and glad you had a good huntin' trip! I plan to go for some steelies myself as well real soon. Will post with my luck or lack thereof as usual. :tounge_out:

9. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I know what you mean about the Michigan winters, but I have lived here all of my 58 years and don't plan to leave. I ice fish, coyote hunt, hunt deer with muzzle loader in December and then here comes spring with steelhead, walleyes and cats, just can't beat it.
    We went duck hunting this weekend and the Mrs. killed her first and second duck of her life. What a great time. The weather was perfact and a few ducks cooperated. A friend of mine was fishing at the same time we were hunting and he caught two very nice channel cats and one 38 inch northern pike. I guess the salmon run is in full swing and some nice catches are being made. I should be in a tree with my bow trying to fill the freezer with venison but you can only be in one place at a time.
    I was in Texas last year working in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area on the Barnett Shale and I have never seen so much traffic in my life and at all times of the day and night. Man it was hot, 106 during the day and 89 at night. You talk about not being able to take a Michigan winter, well Texas summer is no picnic. Heck anymore our winters are only about three months long then back to just cool weather. I understand the work situation taking you south, things have been tough here and it does'nt look like it will get better anytime soon.
    Keep good thoughts and tight lines to all.
    eyeguy

10. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Yep it gets hot in Texas, Bow hunting was weird to me here, sweating and all the bugs still out!! When I fish big cats in the summer its usually at night(just started). I was just fishing, but got laid off, decieded to make the best of it and do some fishing. The freezer is over stocked and I started drifting for blues ( just trophies ), First night I got a 16lber, Next trip out got a 26lber. there was another time I got a couple 10 lbers. I havent been back for more , with hunting season going and beeing on a tight budget. The worst thing is fighting depression! It is cooling off here now! My brother works in Michigan, got his job in Georgia and they moved him to Michigan, he is a welder. It has been fun chatting with some one from Michigan, I keep telling my brother to get a computer!

11. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Now you're killing me with these 26lb fish. The largest I caught this year was a 9lbs 4 oz channel cat. We don't have blues here, don't really know why not but we dont. I guess the river I fish has a few flatheads but I never seeem to catch any of them. I have to confess that I have not been fishing much lately as ducks and geese have been taking up what spare time I have. I should be in a tree with a bow but it has been warm so I don't think I have missed much yet. I am a meat hunter so they don't have to have a huge rack for me to let an arrown fly. We love venison and I like to put at least two in the freezer each year. I did draw a doe tag so I can be almost certain to have one down and with the late muzzle loader season finding and hunting runways usually pays off. So no swet yet. When I was in Texas it was really hard to find a place to hunt. You either found someone with an opening on a lease or you paid big bucks to hunt a ranch. I am spoiled by all the state forest we have and can hunt all of it without paying to hunt, unfortunately most of the deer are aware of this fact and hang around private property but I still manage pretty well.
    Been nice talking with you, having lived in Texas and you being from Michigan its all good.
    eyeguy

12. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Texas has state land, it costs 48$ (just like everything in Texas). They give you a booklet with over 60 locations and 1,167,243 acreas state wide, not counting a special booklet for dove and small game. The booklet you have to study carefully, Texas is weird, they different; rules, game, firearms allowed, seasons and ect.... State land is hard to hunt!! Texas its self is tricky, bow season starts Septmeber 27 (it always opens on a saturday). And different counties have different restrictions, such as how many deer or what sex, Some counties you are allowed up to 5 deer and others are a 1 buck county. They have even got antler restriction most places (13" min. spread). I have a friend that has a lease they have a age restriction (look for the big buck with the sagging belly). I've been hunting hogs mostly they have the least amount of restrictions and over populate quick. A old boss/friend of mine told me he just shoots hogs and leaves them. They are some good eating, I use the quarters for roast then the next night its stew. Anything that ain't roast is burger or sauage! I have hunted a ranch, its like a 100 acre pig pen, they have a air conditioned cabin with 3 bunk beds and cable tv and hunting vedios ect... I cost 250$ per person with meals and you are aloud 2 hogs @ 125 lb each. He carges a dallar a pound over 125 lbs, last time we went he had some large hogs and give us a deal @50 cents a lb over 125 lbs . My brother got one over 350 lbs, my oldest son got a 250 lber and a 50 lber, my youngest got a 350 lber and a 50 lber, I didn't get one and traded the over charge for my yongests for my hunt. I still had time to hunt and I was using a bow and got picky on my shot and hog, I was read to go and decided to do the trade, our guide donnie was not feeling well and ready to go also, so opped for the trade. It was a lot of fun! The place is wooded and has a wooded creek that runs through the midle of it, it also has wooded fence lines and grass field surround it. The grass was about three feet tall or shorter, it was unbeleavible how well the hogs could hide in the grass. He has stands that he give you a ride to for morning and evening hunts. This year he offered a goat and ram hunt, They weren't tame but!!! Lets just say I wouldn't hunt them. They made our hunt not as fun, they were annoying,they made the hunt seem less of a hunt! Heres the web site for that ranch we went to ;
    http://www.texashogsandrams.com/

13. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    It sounds like you had a good time huntin them hogs..... I guess we have some wild hogs here too and they say they just roam around the country. I have never seen one but there is no season and no license required. Some friends of mine go to Texas and hunt hogs and havelina. I gues the havelina stink real bad and both guys said they would not shoot another one. The pigs are great and I am told good eats. I have not killed a deer yet but have been out a couple times. Until this year we were able to bait for deer now we can't and it has changed things. I am having to really hunt again. I have been seeing deer but just out of bow range, without a pile of carrots or sugar beets they don't stand around much. The weather has cooled down a bunch, nineteen last night so the deer should really start moving now. I don't have any plans to visit Texas anytime soon but one never knows where life will take him so who knows. Stay in touch.
    eyeguy

14. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    Everybody has feeders in Texas, it's either corn or high protien. They worry when we have a good acorn crop, the deer don't visit the feeders. It got cold here today, got down to 60 durning the day. Most all people hunting here have leases, the ones that are getting something anway. I keep stopping in to the Michigan site just homesick I guess. Hey, I got an idea for you on your hunting, how about a food plot. We use to have a hunting cabin up near Skid way/West branch. Sold it after my father died. How are them elk doing? Do they still got that 5$ drawning?
    I was hunting down here a few years back and seen these little trails, they looked like some one pulled a rope up though the leaves. I started noticing these trails everywhere, then I noticed the animal making them it was arrmidillos. they were running around with there nose in the ground searching for bugs or whatever. It was pretty cool but them dam things were everywhere! My brothers up in Michigan don't hunt but said he just gives a budy 10 bucks for another doe permit and he gets a doe for him.