Fish air bladders/barometric pressure

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 26, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the affects of barometric pressure on fish activity is a mystery that i havent quite fully figured out yet. what the barometor is at and what it will be doing is the #1 factor in fishing to me with moon phases a close #2. i know it affects their swim/air bladder causing it to inflate and deflate. an example would be when pulling crappie from extremely deep water. their bladder swells up so much that if you dont use a needle to deflate it they cannot go any deeper than a foot below the water and end up dying. now i know the barometor doesnt affact them this bad but it does to an extent. my great-grandfather was a carp fanatic and would keep the air bladders from the carp he caught and keep them moist in his kitchen for a few days. i always wondered why he done that when i was little and he would tell me that you could tell what the weather was gonna be by watching how it inflates and deflates. he said he was taught how to watch the bladders when was a young by this old guy who was half indian that lived near him. it wasnt until i was much older, and years after he passed, when i started learning about barometric pressure that it dawned on me why he kept the swim bladders from carp. i grew up right next to grampa and he would come snatch me up at a moments notice to go fishing saying "come on boy! theyre biting!". he was a die-hard carper and didnt fish for anything else, and as far as i can remember we rarely had a day where we didnt catch a bunch of fish. after i started catching on how pressure affects behavior, and before i purchased a weather radio, i sometimes would take an empty 2litr bottle and slightly compress the bottle before putting the cap on and lay it near us at night. when the pressure started rising (=fish biting) that bottle would start popping due to it expanding. same thing happens to a swim bladder in a fish. the sizes of the bladders varies in different species of fish and they no doubt are affected lees/more than others. for example, when there is really high pressure in i see bluegills and carp really shallow in the water column and they wont hit anything, but cats seem to dissapear. trout seem more active during high pressure, and as far as cats go, during high pressure (30.20 and above)channels will still hit but you can forget about the bigger flats but the small ones will sometimes still hit. i visited bass-pro once when the pressure was extremely high (30.50) and all of the cats were supened right under logs or a rock shelf, almost like they were under there so they didnt float to the top. what is still a mystery to me is what does a slightly swollen/deflated bladder do to a fish? do they feel bloated? drive them deeper/shallower? do something to their brain? it does something and thats what i would like to know. i posted this hoping someone might have some scientific data on the subject.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Dink
    very interesting thread you've started. I wish I could make a scientific contribution, but I really can't.
    I do how ever have a similar theory in relation to people that might correlate to fishing (well not exactly feeding... but barometric pressure affecting living creatures).
    I used to Manage a swim school, I would literaly come into contact with hundreds of people a day, families in some form. After a while you get in tune with these families and the children.
    I focus on the kids because I think that they are more sensitive to their physical enviornment. (they don't understand whats happening and they are not old enough to allow thier thought process to affect the way they act.)
    Anyway...
    I started noticing that I could use the kids as a simple weather indicator, It took me some time at first, but when bad weather was approaching the kids would get agitated, irratible and basically a pain in the butt.
    And conversly when a high pressure system was going through the majority of the kids were all smily and happy.
    Obviously I would take into account that parents could give off vibes if they were stressed about incoming bad weather.
    BUT mor often than not. when the kids as a group were cranky you had bad weather. and when they were happy it was pretty nice out.
    Again this is a very general tangent but I think that it does run parallel with your idea mentioned above.
    I hope this made some sense.
    Would love to hear what other think on this.

3. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    great thread you have started looks like we need to investigate this subject somemore.....:thumbsup:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Larry, sounds like we are on the same page! i could go on about how weather/moon affects animal and human behavior also but i'd be writing forever. still have a broke wrist y'know:D what separates us humans from the animal kingdom is that we are "self aware" (for the lack of a better word) and natures affects have far less impact on us. it shows more in people and children who rely more on instinct and emotion.

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Dink,
    Thanks for awknowleging the correlation. Sorry mate, I forgot you were still in recovery. Hopefully it is going as it should you healing quickly in time for prespawn activity . (please dont feel obligated at this time to type up a doctoral thesis.) but this is a topic that I am really glad you brought up, There wasnt any real use for it with kids and managing a swim school. (I guess thats not entirely true when I would be looking for some reason the kids were spazzing).
    But as far as Fishing.......... very important to me and I'm guessing all the other serious fisherman out there.
    I will turn on the radar and start seeing what I can find out and will fwd any related info I find.
    thanks
    Larry

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Along those same lines, My wife is a teacher as is most of her family so they always say that you can tell when the Full Moon is approaching and out because the kids go crazy, in fact they have cited that there has been many studies on the effects of moon phases and kids, just need to do some research eh? Try Google search, results may be interesting.

Salmonid

7. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    If the bottle/bladder is expanding, wouldn't that mean the pressure is DROPPING? :confused: