Fish a timeline, and move!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ever been that fisherman that has regreted not moving at the end of an unsucessful trip? not every trip is fun, but...you can start improving your catch ratios, by simply covering more areas. Drifting is a successful method, and floating baits is another. But the average catman is a 2 anchor, cast, sit and wait guy! Over the years fishing tournaments i have noticed the nights i move a bunch, and don't catch...usually are nights no one else does well either...these are simply inactive nights...and nights i setup and fish one spot.. is sometimes good. but the nights that i constantly move and just catch a couple then go to the next spot to do the to catch a couple more, have been awesome!!! After hitting two, three, then four spots...catching at all of your honey holes, you know the bite is on!! And so for many others that understand this possibly!! you will catch not only numbers these nights, but alot of good sized ones as well! I know!! It is soo hard to move after catching a couple fish fast, BUT, the guy that is quick to understand that they are more active that night...is usually the more sucessful one covering more area. So, my advice is know your area well, be understanding on their habits, and move often!!!!. Like i said earlier, if you catch a few in one spot fast, yes you could catch them there all night....but these are the out of the ordinary nights we talk about for yrs.! and remember, you can move to the next hole or two...and if it isn't as good...you can always go back...goodluck...rollo

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice post, I am as inpatient as it comes, and if I am not hitting them in one spot, I would rather move a bunch then take my chances of getting skunked.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I stay 30 MAYBE 45 minutes depending on the bite, or the spot...I move sometimes 10 to 12 times in one night...As the night wears on though, its hard not to get lazy..LOL

4. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    You bet, Rollo. When I used to fish tournys, we had a whole slew of spots to cover. We'd set up @ our first spot, usually depending on the time of day and water temp, and if nothing hit within 30 min or so, go to the next one. Did this all night. If I'm @ a spot catching fish and the bite stops, I usually give it another 20 min or so and then move again. I do this with channels more so than flats but even then the plan is similar. I just tend to give it a little more time in each spot with the flats, especially when I know the spot produces. I think this comes into play even more when the thermocline dissipates and fish start using the entire water column. When I get set up and the bait's in the water, I check my watch.... every time. Just 'cause they're not biting in one spot doesn't mean they're not feeding heavy in another.

5. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Since I bank fish, I tend to wait a little longer than 30 minutes before I move on... I'll go an hour, maybe 90 minutes if I know that spot has been good before...

I tend to bring enough with me to stay comfortable, so moving for me is a little more complicated than you guys in the boats... :wink:

6. brandonleeraab

brandonleeraab New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i fish off of the bank also and i'll wait 45 mins. to an hour and if the bite isn't good i'll move 30-40yards down the bank . and continue this till i find fish usually works out theres got to be hungry fish somewhere.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the posts, and Happy Halloween!!!....from skunkrollo!!!!

8. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    moving is how people like Rollo and all the guys who regularly post new pics of there great nights learn where they are holding up. Even if you have to put forth the effort and come up empty handed as long as you learned something along the way (even if its that they are'nt biting anywhere) at least you did'nt catch due to lack of effort.:smile2:....

.. Although sometimes when you have to go to that extremely hard to reach place like a creek or stream, that you can't get to on the boat, and is tricky moving to during the day, let alone moving thorugh at night!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good post. you are right. my signature for along time was...you can't catch em from the couch!!! ....same as hunting or anything for that matter...if you want to be sucessful...you have to pay your dues!!!! YES, i could be more sucessful in the size we catch here if i would move or start traveling more.. But, I feel like i have fished my area to my best now! Thats why i took up fishing in the lakes!! i have caught the big boys in the river, but wanna catch the big boys else where now! if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun!!!rollo

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i still like them river fish also!!!!! just not enough time in the year to target every system in the state. looking forward to getting to some new water next year as well...rollo

11. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    The way i see it is this, Catfish have been here longer than anyone on this sight have been trying to catch them. And we can do everything in our power to try and trick them into being our prey with cut bait,shad and all the different baits we all try, and drift fishing and moon phases and storm fronts! Lord knows i have tried my share of weird things. All in an effort to land our personal best! But to me,and guys this is just my opinion ok Please dont take offense. But in the over all scheme of things you just have to be there when they are feeding! To me, this is like a prize fight, train your ass off, be ready for the fight, but the fish call the shots! Either they play our game or they dont! Now does that mean that i am going to stop doing everything in my power to catch them? Hell no! But we are playing their game not the other way around So if their biting let me know where!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i couldn't agree more.. you can't make them eat. and have to be there for the opportunity...that( there) you are talking about may not be a very big area. thats why i think it is soo important to move and move often. fishing for active fish, and not sitting and wishing they will bite..however i still seem to have many nights i wish they were more active..lol.. thanks for your insight and post..goodluck...rollo:big_smile: