First year

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by catfishingRon, Oct 17, 2007.

1. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    This will be my first year trapping. :big_smile: I really don't know what signs to look for other then trails around the banks. My boy (11 and 12) will be by my side. We took our trapping class 3 weeks ago and think we are ready. Then we ran out and bought some traps. And let me tell you now, body trap 220, one, and my fingers, zero!:embarassed: Man does it hurt when you catch a hand!

What I would like to find is someone willing to take us out for a day and show us ways to set traps and what to look for. I know this is alot to ask when you have people stealing traps and such, but I am not into that. I want my kids to learn the right way.

So if anyone in Northern Illinois would be willing to help, I would appriciate it. I would be willing to purchase some new traps for anyones time.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wish I could help ya out Ron,but im a little too far to drive . Buy a few books from FFG They are super cheap ,some for 5.00 or so ,they are small and full of info that can help ya,also see if you can find a video or two on trapping the critters you are targeting. good luck in the coming season. I expect a pic or three ok.

OOPS almost forgot ,If ya aint got one invest in a pair of conibear tongs for setting those dang things,and remember those safty hooks on the springstoo.

3. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to a new addiction LOL . You must have been at Milledgeville being you live up north . Too bad the class takes so long or you could of taken in some of the demos given . If you join the Illinois trappers assoc you get a subscription to the trapper predetor caller . They have some how to articles in it as well as trapping supply dealers .

I am in west central Illinois along the river about 60 mile south of Moline . Scout for sign along the creeks and the ditches leading to them . Look for trails that seem to snake around some instead of direct straight lines . If there are a lot of coon traveling them they will have it beaten down to bare ground . These are prime spots for a 220 blind sets . Make sure you are away from a house and no dogs are running that area as a 220 doesn't discriminate what it catches .

In the water I prefer to use a PVC set . It is a piece of white 2 in dia PVC pipe drove into the bank at an angle . You want about 6 in sticking out and set the trap out about 3 inches from it . Bait is put into the pipe , I prefer a shellfish base bait like Blackies blend Fatal Atracttion . I also set them up on a slide wire to drown . For a trap I prefer a # 11 but any trap up to a #2 can be used if drowning .

Hope this helps some .

4. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Where is Earlville I live 10 miles south of Galesburg and 20 miles west of Peoria.If close i would come up for a day and give you 40 years worth of advice and make a run with you.The traps i recomend are 6- 1.5 jump traps 6-1.5 double long spring 12-110 conibears 4- 220 coibears spring on each side and one 330 conibear if you have some beaver to get.Tis will put out a nice run for your first year.

5. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey there Mr Bullhead looks like we are just about nieghbors LOL . I live 5 mile west of Stronghurst . Used to live in Carman until bought this popstand where i live now .

Do you sell any to Groeny in Galesburg at Al's on saturday afternoon ?

6. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Sure do.I was over your way looking for a cabin this year around Carman,damm they are proud of those garages on stillts LOL. I fish over here on the IL then in fall i fish th Miss.Been all over between Kiethsburg and down to Dallas City. Just love the river wheather i am trapping fishing or duck hunting or just floating down with a cold one.

7. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Did you check out Heapville ? I never priced any but know seems to be a couple for sale there most times . The Shokakon are seems all are on leased ground . Will have to holler next time in the area . I got an old jon boat that leaks but not sunk her yet LOL . I am the only Billings in the stronghurst phone book .

8. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Do you have any relatives around N wilksboro NC area?

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont know much about trapping but I do know you should dye your traps by boiling water with walnut husks & then finish off with a dip of wax. the wax protects the metal and makes it smoother & quieter.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'd suggest get the book trapping north american furbearers if its still available, hawbacker and sons puts it out, if its still in print, and probably find the address in fur fish game magazine.