First year

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Little Tree Rat, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Goin out for my first season of deer huntin...any advice? i know my dad is going to give me lots but its nice to hear from others too

2. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    First and for most safety. Listen to your dad he will teach you. Good luck and be safe.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey that's right Mal... I forgot... you got your bow last Christmas and this is the first time you will actually get to use it on a deer... that's great... :big_smile:

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. :wink:

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    If I'd give you any advise it would be to calm down and take deep breaths before you shoot. this is only my second year out and I'm learning on my own, it's always good to have somebody with you to give you pointers. I took my first buck yesterday and I couldn't slow my breathing or heart rate it was awesome. I shook more with this little 6 point in front of me than I did when I got mortared for the first time in iraq.:crazy:

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Above all else, have fun and be safe. Remember, it's not the kill that counts, it's the experience.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    SAFETY,SAFETY,SAFETY, after that, remember what direction the wind is blowing and try to be as sent free as possible, other than that listen to your dad because with out knowing the area its hard to point you in a great direction...

7. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    pattern the deer and don't let them pattern you- hunt diffrent locations and take diffrent routs to your stand each time - also don't sit on top of the trails lay back 20yds or so and hang your stand so you have some cover to blend into - the single most important thing is to practice, practice, practice - don't just shoot the know 20, 30, and 40yds - walk around and stop away from the targets at odd angles and unkown distances and shoot standing at diffrent angles and also kneeling or sitting - you never know what direction a deer will come from or if you will be on your way to your stand when an oppurtinity comes along - the more you practice the better you will be prepared - I always also carry an arrow with an old broadhead (exspandable for me) and pick out a spot at the end of my hunt to take a practice shot before I get down - this also helps in building confidence with a one shot chance - you can shoot 30 arrows and by the 23 or so be hitting good groups most of the time but it's the first out of the tree that needs to be the best you shoot - the other thing is pick a softball sized spot on a deer when you shoot - look for tuffs of hair, a rib bone that shows, or something to key in on - if you look at the whole deer when you shoot chances are you will shoot over it or at best have a marginal shot - also use cover scent on either sent wicks or the orange scent bombs and hang them at know distances - visulize where the best shots are around you and know those distances - these are just a few of the things I used to successfully learn how to hunt with archery equipment hope it helps!!

8. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thanks yall!!!

9. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lots of good advice, after saftey I would put pateince next. Choose you shots wisely and never, no matter what, let frustration get the best of you. All of us get frustrated, but how you deal with it will mean a lot.
    Good luck, and happy hunting