First Year results

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by rijkmus, Oct 4, 2009.

1. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    This was my first year flathead fishing and I wish to thank all on this board for Ideals and methods that I employed on this endeavor.

This is the story of two men who targeted the Flathead for the first time and my observations. I fished almost every week end at least one night since early May.

We started on the Mon because it was close to home and tried at least 15 spots from shore between Elizabeth and Lock 4. We fished many hours some times from dusk till dawn. We used exclusively bluegills, and soon decided that we did better on cut than live. I myself had only 2 runs this season on live and only landed one of the fish. I estimate that in about 10 weeks I got maybe 8 small fish one over 10 pounds. The high light on the Mon was this one night my friend fished by himself with cut bait he said after about two hours of drowning a gill he had a run and it was big. At the end of the line was a 25# Blue we think. So there may be something to Blues in the Mon. We have a pic and the anal fin looks straight and not curved. We soon decided that it was not going to happen here on the Mon and Move to the Ohio. We also feel that something is wrong on the Mon but can not judge this season as it was our first.

On the Ohio,

First night on the Ohio I got 5 flats all under 15 pounds but my friend landed a 23# and lost some bigger ones. The next night I could not fish but my friend returned and was rewarded by his first frenzy as I call it and land the first of three this year over 40 pounds, plus a 30 plus pounder and more than one in the 20s. He states he got 22 fish that night and went to using one rod. Of course I was not there that night but pics proved the story.

This pattern persisted three times after the first frienzy, as about three weeks later I did not fish and he hit another one and landed a 46#. So the next night we went back and My son was with us and he got 3 small flats one a little over 10# while we got the skunk. This showed me that it can happen one night and nothing the next.

To sum up the year My firend had a great season and I did not break 20#. We discussed this last night as I declared Flathead season number one over for me. I just could not hit the nights when the big fish were in the area we were fishing. There are a few other questions as he consistently outfished me and the only thing differnt is that he uses all braid, and I use Mono and a 40 mono leader. The braid lets him get out further but next year I am going to all braid to see, if I have a dark cloud over me.

Well I am putting away the rods and getting out the guns and hope to see you all here next year for another round on the rivers.

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Congrats it was my rookie season as well there are no blues here but I caught a 27.4# flat my 3rd time out my avatar I never kept track of all of the fish I caught total next season I will be keeping a log I'm out east so I fish the Skuke and did pretty well I'm not quite ready to hang it up yet got a few more weeks left :wink:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice summary of your season Rik! Your buddy came close to the state record with the 46# Flatty! Pretty good year of chasing the mighty Flathead for a couple rookies! :cool2:

4. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Can you post pics of the 40# plus.:big_smile:

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    3 fish over 40lbs in Pennsylvania is impressive!:roll_eyes:

Any pics?:cool2:

6. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Congratulations on such a fine "rookie" season. Very nice report.

Ray

7. rijkmus

rijkmus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The Pics are from a throw away camera that he gets at Walmart. I told him to get a Digital but he is the cheapest Man I know. Most of the Pics were of the fish on the ground except for one as he was by himself. Some were also of the fish in a net on the scale which was hung in a tree.

About being 2 pounds from the state record. That record is of the biggest documented. This record was shattered many times on the Ohio in Pa. in the last few years according to some people. I am sure there are 60 and even 70 pounders waiting to light your fire. I just think this way big water big fish, and the Ohio is the biggest in my area maybe even pa.

Next year maybe one of us from here may break the record. It is just a shame that you almost have to kill the fish to get it recorded.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    just take pics of the fish pics he has with a digital camera then you can post them. would really like to see them fish scale or no scale. love to see big fish photos, can't get enough of them. hi i'm Brian and i'm a flathead addict.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  9. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Great first year! That's awesome to hear that you guys got into them right away. Anything over 20 is awesome, but a couple 40's never hurt either. Way to go! And i switched back to mono this year and love it, so i guess you just gotta find what works for you. Even is it's a psychological effect, switching to braid might just be the thing to get you on track.