First year fishing for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cats gone wild, Oct 2, 2006.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I've been logging on to the BOC all summer so I thought it was time to become a member. I have been fishing the Zainesville pool on the Muskingum River and have caught five flatheads, 7, 10, two 12,and 35lbs.I have only been out seven times so I guess I've had a good year. The 10 and one 12lbs. was caught Sunday morning at 6:30 and 8:00 a.m. The 7 was caught Father's Day weekend and the 35 was caught on Sept. 3rd. ALL CAUGHT AND RELEASED!!! I was getting on the river late in the evening but got sick of dealing with the pontoons and speed boats, so I thought I would start fishing early in the moring after things quited down a bit (3-4 a.m.). It paid off, I was on the river for only one hour, fished the first spot for 30 minutes , had no runs. Had my bait in the second spot for five minutes and the 35 hit. Fought the fish for about 10 minutes. I caught the 35 in the log jam straight across from the Riverside Park ramp In 6 ft. on an 8 in. gold fish with a float rig ( 5oz. Catfish Striker float). The water temp was 57-59 degrees Sunday morning, with the warm temps this week, maybe it will go up a bit. I'm heading out early Friday morning, hope I can get some good bait. Gota break that 35 mark.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome Phil, To the Brotherhood Of Catfisherman. The greatest website on earth.

Congrats on your catches so far this year. Do you have any pics?

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member. Canal is not that far from me, live in Ashville. We need to hook up and get some big ol kittys sometime.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Tea, you live close to the Muskingom River???

5. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I can be there in an hour. Not close, but can get there. Have car will travel. LMAO

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

You ever fish it man?? That is supposed to hold some HOGS...I was reading a story a few years back, some dude caught to over 60 in one night out of there.,...I will go there next year...It is like 2 and a half of 3 hours from me...But next year is the year...we should hook up and take my boat out..You ever fished it on a boat

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, I have never fished it. Don't know the river. But, would love too sometime for sure.

8. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I have a video of the 35lbs. I fish alone so I got a digital camera to take videos. I should have bought one with a timer so I can take some picture. When I figure out how to down load the video, I'll do so. Matt, I also fish the Scioto at Circleville. I have not caught any flatheads just channels. To hard to fish the Scioto at night and get back to the boat launch.

9. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    congrats on the catch

10. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    WOW, I know lots of people that would poop a brick if they caught that many fish with those sizes in a year. For it to be your first year after flatties, that makes it even better! Congrats on a heck of a catch, and Welcome to the BOC from another Ohio member!

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    First off welcome to the BOC Phil!! Congrats on the catches, you have done better than me. Thats bad because I live right near the Muskingum.lol. Thanks for sharing the info. Might just have to get out on the river myself before it gets too cold.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    First of all welcome to the BOC Phil!! Sounds like you had one heckuva year for so few times out! Congrats on your catches and the best of luck to you in your future fishing trips!

13. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Congrats. on the cats phil, I havent fished the musk. river in what seems like a hundred years, sounds like im missing out on some fun! Thanks for the imput and welcome. good luck and good fishing.:cool2:

14. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    welcome to the BOC and congratulations on the catch

15. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey, last time i was in zanesville was when i was hitting all 3 skateparks there with my friend. i saw that river and i wanted to fish it soo bad. hopefully might be able to get there this weekend with my dad. Can i know where you caught these cats? Also welcome to the BOC!!!

16. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thanks for the congrats and welome. I did alot of reading about fishing for flatheads and the Ohio waters that contain them. The Muskingum is about an hour away so I thought that was the logical choice. I invested in some good tackle and bought a boat. With my experience fishing the Muskingum so far this year, you need to have a boat to fish that river. All of my fish came from spots you can't fish from the bank. I stayed true to what I read, log jams and deep holes. Four of my fish came from log jams and one from a deep hole. I also learned alot from this website. My plans are to head to the river early Friday morning. I'll let y'all how I do. Thanks Again!!!

17. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Brendon, all of my fish came from the Zanesville ( I spelled it right this time!) pool. Between Ellis Dam and Riverside Park.

18. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome, Phil. I've fished Ellis Dam a couple times, didn't have much luck. Haven't made it down this year. Good to hear about your catches.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    welcome to the BOC brother. good post with good details, thanx for sharing

20. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I'm not going to be able to make to the Muskigum Friday morning as I had planned. Too much family stuff going on. I thought I could squeeze it in but I want to sleep at some point. I hope to fish next week if the weather is good.