First Walleyes with new eyes

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by Ol Whiskers, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Haven't been on in a while, and haven't been out to fish either, until today. Been getting used to my new eyes - had laser surgery 10 days ago and it sure is good to be outside without glasses. Had a hard time with the puter until a few days ago. Been thru 4 strengths of reading glasses in less than a week, and my close vision is getting better as swelling goes down and corneas heal. I've worn thick glasses for 46 years, and have never seen so well at a distance as I do today. Astigmatism is corrected very well too. I saw one distinct full moon the other night, as opposed to the one with seven surrounding ones I've seen all my life. Simply amazing technology. Durn'd near wrecked the car gawking at things on the highway I've been missing.

Went to GMR below Knightsbridge dam about 9:00 this morning. 32 degrees, wind W to NNW at 15 to 30mph. GMR was up about a foot, and flow was swift at around 5000cfs (north wind made it even faster) and slightly muddy. First cast with a mercurochrome twister grub on white pearl 1/4-oz jig had a very light hit, and I fought a nice saugeye to my feet and lost it. Second cast got this one, very fat and full, about 20 inches:

My son and his buddy were there and caught a few. They left for other regions. I took no more fish, had only one more hit. Packed up for the wwd around 11:15, where I hit another nice 'eye on first cast of char/flake twister. No more 'eyes, but snagged 12 shad for flathead bait, maybe 8 or so hifin suckers, and something that almost spooled 240 yds of 8-lb line. Never did see it, as it broke off about 2/3 of a spool away. FUN DAY!

Hope to see y'all on the water soon.

Dennis

Attached Files:

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great to hear that all went well with your laser surgery. Your post was interesting. I've got two daughters that are considering the same. And sounds like you had a successful fun day fishing.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I've been thinking of getting that done myself. How long does in take to heal up.

4. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the surgery, and on the fish, I am jealous!

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Thanks, everyone. I've been following surgical correction for 20 years, since the Russians intro'd radial keratotomy. Just never had the stomach to let someone poke my eye with an xacto knife.

I'm not making recommendations here and not tyring to hype it up, just telling what I've experienced. This newest surgery uses a cool laser to cut a flap off the cornea (used to be done with a sharp blade), and another laser to sculpt the surface to get the focus right in the whole field of view. The corneal flap is repositioned, and you can see. Healing is a long-term prospect, as there is some fluctutation for a while - everyone reacts a little differently. There is some glare and halo effect, but that is dissipating well. I had problems like that with the glasses, so I'm kind of used to it. It's not necessarily permanent, as your body is prone to change, just like you need new prescription glasses every so often. I haven't had a prescription change in 4 years, so my eyes were starting to stabilize for distance, and this should last many years before I need to have more correction. This surgery can be repeated.

My correction was for distance vision in both eyes, so because I can't change being an old fart I still have to have reading glasses for the closeup stuff. I'm still getting used to that, and it's difficult right now on the puter and some of the woodcarving and other detailed work I like to so. That will work itself out in time. I think it is an excellent trade, for my needs. For those considering this type of correction, the Midwest Eye Center in Cincinnati has a great website with information on all types of eye surgery. Just google Midwest Eye Center. I'm very happy with it.

Dademoss, you're close to us. Come on out an try the GMR for flats, channels, eyes, smallies, WB, and just about anything else that's wet, if you haven't already. That goes for all BOC. Send me a PM when you're in town - GMR is somewhat unpredictable but very productive if you catch it right. Sometimes elbow-to-elbow, sometimes you get it all to yourself.

Dennis

6. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like an awsome day of fishing. Getting "spooled" anytime is exciting! Glad you're seeing things more clearly now. Just be careful if you gawk while driving...lol:lol:

7. Icebox33

Icebox33 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Interesting to hear about your surgery. Im nearsighted and have worn glasses since kindergarten. I have always been interested in laser eye surgery.... but my dad has managed to talk me out of it several times..."you only got one pair of eyes kid, and they cant replace those". They have definitely come a long way in terms of surgical technology though and I may have to revisit the notion. :smile2:

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Went for 10-day post op checkup. I'm seeing 20/20 in the left eye, better than 20/20 in the right. Even the close up vision is getting better, down to 1.25x reading glasses. I'm having fun looking at all the things I've been missing for over 50 years. Hasn't helped my typing though.