First Two Trips on the Scioto River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catstalker07, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats on the fish, and thanks for the nice pictures:smile2: rollo

3. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    where at on the scioto?

4. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We fish anywhere south of 270 to the 316 bridge. These are caught around the 762 bridge. Most any hole on the Scioto with brush have fish. The biggest problem is getting to the spots. A lot of the river is less than a foot deep so its hard to boat. There are times when we have to get out and pull the boat.

Hope this helps

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site Rod. Where is the thirty nine pounder? I couldn't find the pic.:sad2: I am going to give the Scioto a try. Thanks.

6. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    those were all nice fish,, sounds like you all got it down,, just wondering what the biggest flat you all have caught in the scioto river. i heard other people talking about it. ive always wanted to try it. would it be worth a trip from dayton?? and do you think the river is to big or the spots to far apart to get around in a canoe? what is a town along the scioto that has good flathead fishing that i could mapquest and look for some spots. id love to try the scioto out so any help would be appreciated!!

7. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio

i'll second that...

8. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The biggest fish this year was 32 pounds, if I said 39 I was wrong and 6 pictures did not turn out. One of the kids with us starting taking pictures because my son was up stream fishing. If you notice there was smoke or something in a couple of pictures then we did not get pictures of 3 fish.

My biggest on the Scioto is 37 or 39 pounds. Its on the first page of my site. It was caught on a 10" hognose sucker right below the 762 bridge. I think its worth the trip. I would wait 2 weeks. I think they are spawning right now. Use google earth, you can get good pictures. The one place I have not been to yet is the bends below the 762 bridge. You could put your canoe in at the 762 bridge and go down to the bends. There is a dirt boat ramp there. My goal is to fish that area this year.
    We have caught fish in any bend with brush and is over 6' deep. Some places are better than others but you should catch fish anywhere from 270 on headed south. Make sure you have good bait. Bull heads, blue gills and sucker work good and I have used gold fish. This year all the fish have been caught on blue gills.
    Some nights we only catch 2-3 flatheads and some nights we catch 7 to 10. You can catch 20 to 40 channels a night in this area any where from 20 to 34". We use cut shad and suckers.
    Hope this helps

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can catch 20-40 channels a night in the same area you are catching 7-10 flats? are these the smaller flats in this area? from what i have learned from experience some of the worst areas for channels, including logjams have been my better areas for big flats. if im catching tons of channels, usually catch the smaller flats like 5-10 pounders. i think larger flats rule their domain and a 4-pound channel better what his whiskers!!!!

10. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No, first when we flathead fish we don't fish for anything else. My son (24) just really started fishing last year and we started on channel cats. After catching a couple of small flatheads now he wants a 30 + fish.
    Now it depends on what you call close. We have been fishing a 600 yard stretch for flatheads. There are a couple of spots that hold alot of channels in this area. There are areas close to where we fish for flatheads that we catch a lot of channels. We fish 2 or three spots a night when we just fish for channel cat fish.
    Come find out for your self. I will take you to one spot and we will fish for channels for a couple of hours then move 100 yards and we will put a couple of flatheads on the shore over 20 pounds.
    I have been told by old timers that a flat will eat 20% of his body weight. So a good size channel doesn't stand a chance. I took wax worms to the area where we have been fishing and could not catch any blue gills either.

Just my experience which is nothing special. There are 10 or 12 holes in the stretch we fish some with more lumber than others. Most of the time we are going to put flatheads on the bank.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i thought you were saying one area , where there is one big happy family...never seen it. i have never been guarenteed a couple flats on any given night over 20 either...you must have a honey hole!!

12. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I don't live too far from that area. I may have to give the 762 bridge a try this year.

13. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know about a honey hole but if you look at the section between 665 and the 762 bridge there are 7 holes that are at least 6' deep. Two of the areas are loaded with channels, carp and shad so I don't fish them. 3 of the 7 holes have a fair amount of logs, brush and cover. So most of the flatheads will be in one of the holes. If you fish those three areas you have raised you odds of catching.
    Samething between 762 and the next bridge. I haven't fished too far below 762 however, I have caught my best fish in this area.

14. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks alot for the info, it is really appreciated! i usually try to take one trip somewhere besides the great miami every year. i probally wont try till mid july ill let ya know when im coming,, ill be bringing a budy, hopefully we will get into some big boys. just to let ya know im all cpr so anything will be going right back for you all to catch!

15. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    could you name a town on the scioto close to those areas,, or directions from dayton.. thanks alot,, larry

16. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Commerical Point is a small town on 762. There is a parking lot on the river and a place to put your canoe in. Go south there are bends and twist, fish there and you should do fine. The next town south is South Bloomfield on 316. Park a second car by the bridge. This is a nice strech of the river. I suggest using google earth also to check out this area.
    Hognose suckers are the best bait ( just my opinion ) and we do well on gold fish, blue gills, and chubs. Make sure your bait is alive and lively.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

17. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    how do you fish the bait? are you just tossing them out and letting the fish fiddle around or what? curious as to your presentation since i am a lake guy going back to rivers.....

ben

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Fish em with a slip sinker. Works well for me.

19. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks tea...how u been man..? been a while for me getting on here. hope all is well. you talk to rob still? i need to call him.

slip sinker it is!!! off this weekend so wish me luck people

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you have put us on your area for the biguns...how bout for them 10 in. hognosers??? :smile2: im still holdin you to two 20lbers in one night also...lol rollo:wink: