First turtle

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by impak209, Jul 3, 2007.

1. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    o.k. I just came back from checking out the small reservoir in Wauseon I figured I d try it out for a couple of hours, got set up opened a beer and low and behold my bobber with the pantyhose full of chicken liver took off! I pull it in I see a green back and a fairly large reptile tail cresting the water! I had caught a 16" snapping turtle! So I figured I'd cut the line and throw it back but low and behold it had all 12" of my leader and then some lodged in it along with a fairly large treble hook. so I cut the line and tried to release it, I say tried because it was'nt lloking to healthy and didnt seem to want to move away. So i figured ingesting ahook that size was going to be fatal I decide to collect him up and try to clean him...
    ... well my wife who just bought me a nice new fillet knife yesterday wont be happy to hear that beheading a turtle with a fillet knife does just as much damage to it as the turtle!

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have never had turtle meat you are in for a treat...very good eating!

3. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    We use to keep them in tubs an feed them bread. After they would clean then self out the best meat out there.

4. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    I clenaed it last night thanks to a "how to" from another website I plan on finding a recipe and trying it out tommorow

5. Light

Light New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What was the website that had the how-to? I got a big snapper in the miami but we let it go....Id kinda like to know how to clean em.

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cleaning snapping turtels is a pain in the...Forget the fillet knife. Your gonna need some carpentry tools:haha:

7. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ironic, I have a new pet, named bob i caught last night, It's a false map turtle. I don't think he bites. Hes a itty bitty fella, So i just feed him turtle food i got at walmart last night and keep him in a fish tank