first turkey hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by grillking, Oct 8, 2007.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    I have a chance to go turkey hunting this weekend. I have never hunted turkey. pheasants, ducks, small game all been done. any advice is greatly apprecitated. do i use a gun that shoots a 3 1/2 inch shell or shoot a 3 inch shell gun that i'm a better shot with? what size shot? do i just aim and take his head off? my friend has hunted before very succussfully, so i'm not too worried. I'd just like some helpfull info. thanks:big_smile:

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    what you have mentioned fill be fine but like you said you shoot the 3 inch better so that one is settled. as for shot as for myself 4 to 6 shot ,as for aiming the head is what you want to hit base of neck will get peppered to as your pattern spreads .as for chokes i'm ussumeing your useing one , most trky hunters i know use full , extra full .

3. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I get to be the first one to jump in here... turkey hunting is my passion. Once you hunt them you will be hooked. All though I think fall hunting is a little harder to bag one then spring. I use a youth winchester 20 gage with 3 inch turkey loads. Using this kind of shot you have to aim for their head. I don't know what size gun you are using. But the most distance I get is about 20 yards. Some people say you can't call them in the fall but that isn't true. They will come to simple clucks and they will answer, but rarely will they try to gobble in the fall. I did have one a couple years ago tried to gobble in the fall. It was really funny to listen to him he sounded very much out of practice LOL. The biggest thing to remember is to stay very still. If you can see his head he can see you. The slightest move, especially in the fall as a lot of cover is going away will spook him. I have seen them hightail and run to the sound of a hawk in the fall of the year. but they do things a little differently this time of year. When they hear a hawk, they run looking up rather than with their heads down. In the spring the sound of a hawk and they sound off sometimes. Decoys in the fall can be good. But I would use a feeding decoy set on the edge of a field. Use short clucks or putts. And aim for the head. Let us know how you do, and good luck.... you will be hooked. They are awesome birds.

4. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know how you got a head of me Chavez LOL... quicker at the draw I guess. I use a turkey choke on my 20 gage, known as the terminator. I always pattern my gun the day before, Walmart sells turkey targets. I pattern it at 20 25 30 35 yards. 20-25 yards is my better kill zone all though I can get a couple hits in on 30-35 yards but I don't like the odds. I highly recommend patterning so you know your distance and the spread of your choke. Again, good luck.

5. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    some good advice there buddie but i'm no novice to THE KINGOF SPRING
    been doin it the past 15 yr's . you say turkey hunt'n your passion ,it's mine also if a ever get a chance to come out this way dureing april thats when itstarts here let me know i'll put you on some merriams .

6. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    That is my dream... one day to get a grand slam. All in one year. Hubby and I might just have to take you up on that. Ever get the chance come on out here to Iowa. We will put you on a good old eastern tom.

I have only been hunting turkey for about 4 maybe 5 years now. They truely facinate me. I have taken a spring and a fall bird. I have also called in several birds. Called in a 25lber for the hubby a couple springs ago. I think the change in their behavior from spring to fall is just amazing.

7. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    I hope you didn't take me wrong on that post... I wasn't advising you. LOL Since you jumped in here with advice I figured you were a turkey hunter.

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    on my avatar you know when you click it and rhe other pic shows , that turkey there was from this yr took a co-worker out .

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    All good advise here. I started in 1975 and made some terrible blunders. Shoot what shoots the best pattern. I shoot a 3 inch 870 remington with winchester supreme #6 shot. Always shoot for his noggin. Body shoot one and he'll roll and prolly get away. You'll enjoy fall hunting, but this spring is when the action starts. Nothing like watchin a big tom blow up an strutt, unless it would be a couple of em.

10. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    No doubt CountryHart. Or hearing them sound off on the roost. Probably one of the biggest thrills of the out doors.