Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

first turkey hunt(bow)

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  fishndad30 
#1 ·
just wonder if anyone has any last minute tips ,i hunt in south east iowa on private land and have spotted several longbeards
( beards push"n 7-10 inches)

#3 ·
Hi Ryan! Here are a few tips I can share. I think to up the odds for you, first of all a good blind is a must, this will conceal you well enough when drawing on that longbeard. Decoys work really well to convince that gobbler to come in. A good call, box call, mouth call can help up the odds. Camo or wear black. Depends on the interior of your blind. I have a Double Bull blind that has black on the inside, so I wear black to conceal myself. Try scouting the birds, to see where they roost and set up 75 to 100yds. from them. DON"T SPOOK THEM or they'll become educated and chances are you will not see them again. I like getting set up 30min to an hour before daylight. When scouting turkeys,try a locater call, like a crow call. This makes them gobble like crazy and you can determine where there at and find the place to set up for your hunt. For my personal preference I like using expandable heads for turkey hunting. The cutting diameter is larger and offers a quicker kill. Turkeys are tough birds and I prefer the broadside shot the best for a quick kill. If you are confident in your shooting, the head shot is the quickest kill shot there is. GOOD LUCK!!

Hope your hunt is a success!!

#4 ·
sounds like i'm set up right,got a big dog ground blind,have calls(box,slate,locater,push,and mouthcalls).i know the roost.have new rubber decoys(jake tom and two hens.and theres still a little cast off corn in one feild....been hitt'n milk juggs at 20 yards ...and the wife just got me a new turkey huntin jacket(with built in butt pillow)..lol..if anyone can think of anything i missed let me know
thanx fellas

#8 ·
i have plenty of calls ,called both jakes yesterday in between quaker box call,and xpot slate ,i have a few diaphram calls too,both birds were under 30 yards and i hit milk juggs at 30 yards,im using an adder point that has a barbed like tip to slow its passing through the bird and hamper" fly offs" ,but these jake were not big at all ,i'v heard big gobblers out there and seen them during the fall deer hunt ,the one i want is a bird i saw in october with a 10 " beard,it dragges on the leaves!i have bigger chickens than those two jakes were. i have a milk crate my wife made a cushion for in my ground blind,very simialer to the position i shoot from in my stand so it is well rehersed shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.