First Try

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JReed, Aug 5, 2006.

1. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I am in the process of trying to do some cured livers. I got 2lbs earlier today and chopped them in half. I found an old screen to put them on and sprinkled non iodized salt and garlic powder on them. They have been sittin in the sun for about an hour so far and the edges are getting nice and brown. I am going to let them sit until about 4pm and turn them and sprinkle more salt and garlic and them. I am going to test them out this evening along with my shrimp and punchbait. Got the lanterns and everything else ready to go. Anyone else ever use the cured livers?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have tryed the cured livers. They worked really well on eating size channels and blues for me. I use turkey livers though. You can freeze them and they come back out of the freezer and seem to seperate even right out of the freezer. Funny almost like they don't freeze? Good luck with them..

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Good luck pal , last one I caught on livers was 8lbs .
    Brian

4. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Let us know the results. I have about a half gallon I recently did the same way. Good fishin', Jack.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have used cured livers and had good results with them. I also just add the salt and garlic a few days before I use the livers without curing them and that works weel also. Good Luck I hope you catch some good one's

6. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Just got home from my trip. Cleaned 1 decent cat. Got it on punch bait though. Got about 5 or 6 runs on the livers but they dropped it by the time we could reach the poles. Had about 10 hits on the punch bait too but they spit it out by the time we got to the poles. Just one of them nights I guess. Also used shrimp which came up a big fat ziltch. Had a nice calm breeze from the north at first then it switched and came bustin straight from the east about 20mph. Oh well, there is always tomarrow.:big_smile:

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jim, I recently cured some livers 'xactly like you described. Got to try them once and did ok with them, got some nice eatin' size blues & channels. Those fish did not mess with nibbling on'em, though, they just sucked those livers right in like they hadn't eaten in weeks. Hopefully I"ll get a chance to go out this week and try'em again - I"ll post the results.

8. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Gettin ready to head back out for a couple hours. I changed my rods from my cat rod to my walleye rod with 10 lb Excaliber and a 10lb copolymer Vanish leader. These waters are crystal clear so maybe they are gettin a little line shy. Nice wide open water with no snags so the lighter line should not be a problem. I'll post results in a few hours.

9. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I got skunked! :angry: Not quite sure what is going on but I will give it my best to figure it out. My buddy justed called and wanted to go back out but I am going to sit home and watch the ball game and race. :tounge_out:

10. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I did a batch last week,They work well on eating size cnl cat's ,Im going to cure some Beef liver with salt and Garlic.....

11. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Last batch I made was a total loss. They never did toughfen up. About the consisty of hamburger. Any suggestions ?? Please !!

12. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Dick, how long did you leave 'em out in the sun? And did you do both sides?

13. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I did both sides and they were out in the sun 2 days.

14. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Wow - don't know what to say about that! 2 days shoulda made them almost like beef jerky :roll_eyes: Prolly need to find out from someone with greater expertise than mine.

15. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Can't remember if I used garlic salt or powder. Would that make a difference??

16. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    If you used garlic powder only, and no salt, it would definitely make a difference as salt draws the moisture out of the tissue. So you can use either garlic salt by itself, or garlic powder with salt as the combination. Garlic powder alone on the livers would only add flavor, and left in the sun the liver would just turn mushy.

17. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Man the info never stops on this site. Here is another question. Why must you use non- iodized salt? I have tried the regular salt in the past and they were mush.

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never cured any before,I just take the bloody things out like they are and usually will catch something! This year however,I havn't caught anything on anything that I have used. It's been a weird year for me!pk powell:smile2:

19. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jim - you got me on that one :eek:oooh: I use iodized salt, get the 4# box from Sam's Club for 88 cents. Maybe someone else can help out with this one?