First try for catfish on the Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Rapp-Catter-06, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually fish the tidal rivers of Virginia for cats but would like to give the Potomac a shot. Where is the best place to put in on the Virginia side? I fish with my 10 year old son and would like to have a decent dock to load and un load passengers.

2. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Leesylvania is open from 7am till 5pm if I'm not mistaken. Belle Haven is just below the WW bridge and is open from daybreak till dusk but if you are after dark returning the man said there is usually no problem. The National Park Police patrol it but are not to hard on the fishermen I'm told. There are others but those two are in different directions from each other enough that it will allow lots of water coverage. Hope this helps. Later for now---jonnycat

3. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    Belle Haven charges $5 to use ramp very very nice place . I use it every time I go. Nice floating docks so always nice for passangers to load and unload.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Belle haven go just around the corner to jones point right below the bridge. Their is a hole hole around 30' your son will have a ball catch the cats their.

5. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Just North of National Airport off of the GW Parkway, there is a great ramp with docks. It is free and patroled by the park police. It may also be fun for your son because the airliners take off and land right above you. Its only a few minutes down river to WW Bridge, Mt Vernon and Fort Washington for the big cats. Good luck. My daughter loves it when we go to that ramp.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    That is Gravlley Point Park great ramp I use it all the time. But you are in DC waters and most have a DC fishing licsenes and a boaters safety corues to run a boat in their waters.

7. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the heads up Tim. Where do DC waters start when you're coming up from Marshall Hall area?

8. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great info. I was hoping to get out there this weekend but will have to work. I might try for next weekend. How hard is it to catch gizzard shad out there? I usually go through a dozen big ones per trip. I was thinking of going out on the Rappahanock and loading up on shad before making the trip to the Potomac. Is there a launch fee at leesylvania? Also how far down river do most fish for cats? I have seen some decent sized fish caught off the shore at Quantico.

9. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    You can also put in at Quantico behind the gym. Nice little ramp and dock with no launch fee, but its closed at night. I've caught dozens in the 8-12 lb. range, but nothing of any size. The bigger fish are farther north, like others have posted.

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Fox ferry on the Maryland side across river to just above the bridge on the VA side.

11. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Pohick bay park is another VA option. It is probably 8 miles north of Leesylvania just south of Fort Belvior in. I dont know what the Launch fee is, but Im sure its reasonable being a county operated by Fairfax County Park Authority.

12. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Pohick is a good choice but if the tides are running low and you have to pull out at low tide it is very shallow for deeper drafting boats like I/o's and deep v Ob's.