First try at getting fresh shad...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 10gaOkie, Jun 8, 2008.

1. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Friday, I was at work talking to a fishing buddy, and he said I should be using cut shad instead of all this stink bait. I told him I never could find a good place to net shad and he told me where he got all he needed. It was fairly close to my house so I bought a 3 1/2' radius, nylon casting net and gave it a shot. A guy at the store gave me the tip to be sure and dry out my net, after use, that it would rot easily if put up wet. It took me a couple of hours to find the spot from my friend's directions but it was worth it. My son and I took home about four gallons of fresh shad and they are now vacuum packed and in the freezer. My son needs a little practice with the casting net in the yard but other than that we had a great time getting the bait and learning how to do it. Now, unless the river dries up, I have an endless supply of shad to catch. There is plenty of carp and a few little cats in there as well. I found out that the cats would screw up my net and hard to get out. I was lucky that I did not have to cut my net to get them out.
    Chris

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah shad is the way to fly for bait. those little cats are hell on a net, even worse is medium sized carp. when the roll they almost always tear my net.

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Learning to throw a net anc catch your own bait is the way to go and half the fun when chasing cats. Nice to see your son is learning the trade as well. Keep on tossing nets and catching bait!