first trip to Wateree with the new vessel....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by harper81, Feb 16, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    And how much worse could it have went? Woke up early and was at the lake at about 7:30. Put in at Buckhill and found a few bait balls and on the second throw I see a black rope flying through the air as it came off my wrist. So decided to go up the lake and hit the marina's that i know of and how to get to. Well low and behold nothing is open.

So head back down the lake to the launch to load up the boat and go get a net. Get up to the car and there is about 15 buzzards sitting on it and crapping all over it. Then notice the rubber part of my windshield wipers are gone. I guess buzzard's love them. Load the boat up and pull out and the ring for the winch breaks and the boat lands on the concrete. Luckily the motor kicked up and no damage was noted to the boat or the motor.

On the way to Lugoff Bait and Tackle I see an orange flash in my rearview. Bye bye life jacket. Get to the bait store and of course no nets or frozen bait. So I buy a dozen large shiners. Back to the lake and finally start fishing. Catch a dink right by the dam. Move up the lake and get all 4 rods snagged in the same place. Move again and managed another dink. By this time my 8 year old daughter is figeting like no other so its time to go. Managed to get the boat out of the water safely and made it home without another incident.

I hope things go better next time cause this was quite the headache for 2 dinks. Oh and cinder block anchors don't work for s*** in the wind. I guess i need to shell out the cash and get real anchors.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the world of boating! :smile2: Fun ain't it? :wink: I've had worse days. :eek:oooh:
    The part about the buzzards is creepy though! LOL!!!

Bill in SC

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thats not a good way to crissen the new boat. At least you got some slime on it. I think a few of us will be down there this weekend prefishing for the 28th.

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Tough day on the water Bill,hate to hear that,you need to install you a safety chain from your winch post to the eye post on the boat,just bolt it to the winch post below the winch and connect it to the eye on the boat with a hook like the one on the winch strap,you can leave it dangling some,it dont need to be pulled tight but it will prevent the boat from sliding off if your strap ever breaks again,Hopefully next time will be much better for you,it takes awhile to get the bugs and kinks worked out.:wink:

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    It wasn't the strap that broke it was the actual eye on the boat itself. I am going to come up with something to make sure it doesn't happen again.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Holy moly!:crazy: Seems like bad luck comes in bunches, but next trip will be better:wink:.

7. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Hope you got all the bad luck out on the first trip and from here on out will be smooth sailing.:wink:

8. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Mama said they would be days like that!!!,Bill most of us have had days like that,some tell the stories,some dont.The first trip after I put me one of the "safety chains" on like Marty mentioned,I took the winch strap off but forgot about the new chain,,I had the truck in four feet of water trying to get the boat off,and yes,they were a few spectators watching.That has been the only time I have forgot to take the chain loose.Ive had a camera blown out ,one reel jerked out while trolling for white bass,(thankfully it was my little girls zebco,she had laid it down to get a snack),dropped rod holders into the lake while moving them to different locations and many more,..Have a friend that was on the bow of his boat throwing a cast net.His uncle was driving the boat,he saw a shad flick and told his uncle to knock it out of gear,and he went into reverse and threw him off the boat,Paul said the net was all around him and he thought he was never goonna get to the top..I thought about that and now,I allways wear my vest while cast netting..If someone had a camera on at all times at a boat landing,they would probally get a video that would win some money on AFV...

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Twenty

:smile2:

One day you will buy a brand new boat and laugh about these times, but you won't have nearly as many good stories!!! :smile2:

10. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    Sorry to hear about all the problems. We all have them sooner or later. It's just part of owning a boat and doing what we all love to do so much. At least you guys made it back safely. Hopefully the next time out you won't have any incidents and will come back to the landing with a cooler full of great memories.

11. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I never thought of wearing a life vest while throwing a cast net. That would be scary. Bet I will have one on from now on! Thanks for sharing that.

12. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Bill, I hope you have all of the bad luck behind you and nothing but smooth sailing from here on out. Sorry that the boat eye broke on you, glad nothing else was damaged. I forgot the old pocket card in my coat pocket yesterday but will try to get it to you today. Best of luck to you.

Steve

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I never thought of wearing a life vest while throwing a cast net...."

We had a guy on Lake Wylie drown in 2007 while throwing cast net in about seven feet of water.

14. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Where exactly did you lose the net?Maybe I can snag it for a spare:wink:--just kidding!Get you some red worms & catch them Perch for bait.

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::embarassed::embarassed::confused2:

:smile2::smile2::wink:

Been there done that!!

16. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That was a rough trip. Every problem is an opportunity to learn something. That's how I look at it. I bet you wont loose another net that way. And you'll probably double check your life jackets next time. Live and learn.:tounge_out:

But I don't know what to say about the buzzards. That's creepy, I hate buzzards.:confused2: