First Trip to the Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by krabaholic, Mar 26, 2007.

1. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    First of all this website is amazing.
    I decided to take one of my freinds fishing this weekend that is just getting into fishing, and I thought I would give the river a try since I was seeing some good reports. A couple of little things happened on our trip that definitely hooked my friend on fishing for life. I pulled up to the boat ramp at Fort Washington to launch the boat and I see that there is a $10.00 fee. No big deal but all I had was a twenty. I saw someone using a throw net on the pier and went down to see if he had change for a twenty. He did and we got to talking and figured out that he was on this site also. Then I was launching the boat and got to talking to another guy that ended up being on the board also. He was extremly helpful and ended up giving us some live bait. Thanks again Mike! As we were pulling away from the boat ramp he said " Is everybody always this friendly?". For that comment I wanted to say thank you to the guys on the board.
    Anyway We did pretty good out there for our first time out. We didn't hook any monsters like the seasoned guys on the board, But every time I set the hook and handed him the rod he kept beating his personal best. Then after fishing for about an hour he hooked into a 13 pounder and I still think that he is smiling from ear to ear. We ended up catching ten fish, and as we were driving home he asked
    " Does Bass Pro Shops sell Catfish T-Shirts?"
    Thanks Again

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Congrats to you and your buddy! Sounds like a fun trip.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Ed,

Thanks for the report. Nothing like turning someone on to catfishing.

4. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    He is hooked for sure

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks Ed good to see you have some fun out there. The BOC have shirts that are very nice and that always a good one to have one at the ramp. Like you said we have members everywhere and most are always willing to jump in and help out.

6. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks Tim. I was going to give you a call, but we started catching fish on the first spot so I didn't want to bug you since we found some fish. I am thinking about investing in a throw net. What size net would you recommend for a first time user. It looks like they are a pain in the neck to throw.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    no smaller than 6' and there are some the have rings that are very easy to throw but it not all that hard. There are some things here on the site that show you how. Plus you can hook up with me some time down there and I can show you in mins just how to throw one.

8. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    I might take you up on that offer. I will probably buy one this week.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I keep a 4 - 6 and 8 in the bost but the 4 is very hard to get bigger bait as they are to fast. But I use the 4 and 6 between the boats at the ramp there and do ok with them 8 will do best but can be hard when just getting started.

10. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Sounds like I'm gettin a 6 footer

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    great post krabaholic!!!...nice lookin blue too...now i will put in my 2 cents...i would suggest starting with a 4 foot cast net to learn on and get the idea of how to use it...number one: it is less exspensive...number 2: when throwing a net in unfamilar water you could easily get it snagged and loose it...that again kinda ties in with the less exspensive thing...number 3: it's got advantages over the bigger nets like tim has already pointed out...i personally like a 6 footer but i cut my teeth on the 4 footer...i keep both of them in the boat and use both of them on a regular basis depending upon the situation i'm in...the main thing that i have found is try and find your bait in the shallowest water possible because the bait has less of a chance for escape (your net gets to the bottom faster)...hope this helps:smile2:

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    :big_smile: Congradulations Ed thats pretty good for your first time out.I bet those Potomac blues fight a little harder than the Monticello blues dont they?

13. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Chris
    I am sure that they will just because of the current, but I caught those cats in 48 degree water so they are still a little sluggish. Don't get me wrong they were still a blast. I can't wait to feel how they fight when the water is a little warmer. I want to thank you for reminding me how much fun catfishin is, and we have definitely converted another fisherman to the BOC. Paul had a ball catchin those cats. Next time I come to SC there is no question what guide to use, and I want to thank you again for the great trip at monty. Good luck on the tourney's this season!!!:big_smile: