First Trip to the Cumberland River was GreaT!

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by katcaller, Apr 17, 2008.

1. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Here are three of the 16 blues I took on my first trip to the Cumberland. Yes, they are all still out there waiting for you to catch them. They were all caught in about 35 to 40 ft on fresh cut skipjack. We had one BIG flat on but it took us into a tree top, got it on a huge gut pocket. Water temp was 53 degrees. Day started out clear and cool but progressively cloudier as the day went on. The darker it got, the bigger the fish got. I wound up with 3 in the 20's, one in the 30', 2 in the 40's, one in the 50's and the largest about 60 but I could have been a little light. We forgot our scale so take these weights with a grain of salt. We had 7 more between 5 and 10 lbs. Don't ever expect to have another day like that again in my life time. katcaller

Attached Files:

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like you found them. I haven't been to the cumberland for a while. It has been so muddy and the current has been rollin.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    congrats on the nice catches be wonting to fish the cummberland river looks like i need to find my way down there

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Now Earl,
    That is no way to think. Get your butt out there and do it again.
    Thanks for the report...W

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    those are some crazy fish. Any chance you are going to tell me WHERE on the river you caught them. I will need a good spot when I return from Iraq.

6. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Hell Hilljack, I don't even know where I was. We just fished where we marked fish, some times we got bit some times not. We put in at Cumberland city and went up stream fishing where ever we could mark a likely spot, I know it took a hell of a long time to get back when we started down river. I have not learned how to use the gps part on my sonar yet so I could not mark the sites where we got bit. Sorry. On that day 35 - 45 feet of water was the most successful for us. katcaller

7. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Hell Metalman, I am too hardheaded to give up, the only thing keeping me off the big waters is my fixed income. It needs fixing badly. If the politicians keep on I will be IN a fix. I am planing another trip this month, probably to Barkley dam. Thanks for the encouragement I appreciate that. katcaller

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, what an amazing trip you had! Congrats on all the fish and thanks for the photos!

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fantastic day! Really good fish! Thanks for the pics!:wink:

10. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Looks like you had a great day. Those are some awesome pics. I am looking forward to fishing the cumberland again upon my return from Afghanistan in Mar 09. Keep on catching.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the pictures and congratulations on the fine catches. I've been fishing different parts of the cumberland river system my whole life. There are some really good fish still out there.:eek:oooh:

12. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Guys, I appreciate the encouragement but we all know it was beginners luck, but man it sure was fun for this ole blind sow to find that acorn. Thanks again to all. katcaller

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Glad to hear you done good and had some good luck them are some really nice looking catfish, I bet they put up one heck of a fight, im going to try to hit the cumberland this summer, glad to hear the fishing is starting to pick up and the fish are biting.

14. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like you had one heck of a day. There will be more days like that. One things for certain you can't catch them at the house. Thanks for the pics.

15. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Quite a day. Congrats

16. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Way to go Earl!
    That sounds like a awesome day of fishing you had there.
    Thanks for the report.
    Keep up the good work:wink: