First Trip To Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bomber, Sep 27, 2007.

1. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    Saturaday morning will be my first trip to Monticello. I will have my 5 year old son with me. I was wondering how the fishing has been their lately? I was also wondering how most people rig their lines? I typically rig my line with a weight that a swivel than about a 3 to 4 foot leader then but a small bobber on the leader to bring the bait just off the bottom. I usually fish lake murray but wanted to try Monticello for catfish. I will have a variety of baits with me including cut bait, worms, and shrimp. I am really not instered in cathing big fish on my first trip but wanted steady action to keep my boy from getting bored. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

2. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished Monticello 3 trips in the last 2 weeks and drifted in about 100 feet of water with cut bait (herrin) and shrimp. Did better on the cut bait. I was fishing down about 50 feet and had some rigged with just hook and barrel swivel. did good on both. I didn't land anything big but caught 20 something eaters averaged about 2 lb. each. Hope this helps. George:big_smile:

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bomber...i am assuming that you will be fishing from a boat...drifting and anchoring should work equally well...and if your after eaters than just drop those night crawlers over the boat and you will find a few eaters...but also your boy will be kept very busy pulling in 5 to 6 inch cats...you will get tired of taking them off the hook before those little cats get tired of biting...good luck.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC bomber.

If you can't find anything this trip don't give up. They are there just sometimes they are hard to catch. Good luck.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Bomber, I agree with foothills. If you use night crawlers and try some shimp, I don't think your boy will be bored:wink:.

6. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC bomber. If you are looking to catch eaters and to keep your son busy fish about 50 feet in the creek beds with shrimp. You will not be able to keep but about 2 rods in the water at one time. I use to wear them out like this. Good luck and thanks for taking a kid fishing. Hopefully everyone that can will do this to keep the tradition alive and to help keep the kids out of trouble.

7. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I agree shrimp or chicken livers should keep you busy.

8. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Bomber, Chalk beat me to the punch. At Monticello if you want eaters and bites, always have chicken livers. I don't know if there are any mussels around but they bite those alot there too. If you've never been there before, keep a close eye on your depth finder because it goes up and down alot in some spots. For spots, I used to love a spot that had a cow pasture up on the hill, then a few houses w/a 49-50 Ford in the back yard. We used to catch a ton of small ones there. Hope this helps and I hope y'all have fun.

Also, you may want to have some worms for the bream in case the catfish aren't hitting.

9. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all the tips. Saturaday was a windy morning and I ended up with 0 fish. Fished all over the lake. Will try again soon.

Thanks.

10. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I went Sunday but like your Saturday the wind was terrible. I did how ever catch 8 fish but nothing of any size.

11. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Whether you believe in "signs" or not, my wife suggested we visit Monty 3-4 days before the full moon. Don't know how the fishing was the day before we got there, but each day closer to the full moon the fishing improved.
    "GO FIGURE"