First trip to Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tnfishman, May 20, 2007.

1. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Fished Monticello for the first time thursday and friday, caught 12 cats nothing over 6 lbs, but really enjoyed it had lots of runs but for some reason they dropped the bait or I was too anxious.
    My thanks to Chrisblue for his info before the trip. Everone there was friendly and helpful wish more places were that way. Will probably go back there in the fall when its a little cooler and the fish cooperate more. Very nice lake. I am fairly new to catfishing and it was hard to see all the big bass being caught and not throw for a few.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, I'm glad to hear you had a good trip, and hope you get to come again soon. Thanks for the report. I'm not sure how it is in Monticello, but last night on Lake Marion, we were getting a lot of pickups, then dropped. These were mostly by garfish, though. Still managed to catch a few blues...

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    John all those runs you got are just the millions of little catfish in there thats bairly big enough to get the hook in their mouth, they will drive you nuts.They need to be thinned out.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    John glad y'all had fun. It is a beautiful lake and has some huge fish, not only cats but some big largemouth bass. Like Chris said it has tons of small cats, whites, channels and blues.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    john...you did a ton better then i did my first trip to monty...i can still smell that skunk if i give it a little thought:big_smile:...what's really frustrating is that you mark tons and tons of fish on the finder but they just don't bite...monty is definetly worth a return trip though...how long did it take you to get there??

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    12 kitties is definitely better'n a skunk, John :big_smile: Even tho Monty has some HUGE cats, it's just like any other lake in that sometimes there's fishin', and sometimes there's catchin' :lol:

7. tnfishman

tnfishman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Due to a set of blue lights and a slow writing state trooper on hwy 34 we were on the water in less than four hours.
    On Thursday afternoon when we came off the lake a gentleman camper at the ramp told us how to catch a lot of one, two and three lb fish using a stink bait and marshmellows, sure i thought, he thinks this dumb hillbilly from tennessee will fall for that, we wallyworld we went and on friday morning the first cast within 30 seconds a two lb. cat hit. The durn stuff worked. Smelled like pig poop, looked like pig poop but the stuff worked.

8. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Those lill cats kept pecking on our rods to John. I was there Fri myself on a 16 ft bass tracker wish I would have known where you were, I would have atleast said hello . Maybe next time.