First trip to Keystone, where to start?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by KansasKatter, Dec 27, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am gonig to make my first trip to Keystone this Friday, was wondering where to start? Will be fishing from a flat bottom boat, and weather is going to be questionable at best, keep that in mind.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!:lol:

2. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Jeff,(1)are you fishing by yourself or with others? (2) are you fishing for blues? (3)what bait do you plan to use?(4)are you familier with the area and the lake?

The corps has not been running much water lately so if I was going I would probably put my boat in below the dam and fish the big hole of water there. The fish don't have any place to go but there.The river is shallow above the hole and below the hole so should make for some good fishing.I will PM you my cell #.You can call if you want more info.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jeff, you might check into putting in at Cowskin Bay south if you are wanting the lake "proper" It is about HWY 412 (the turnpike) and hwy 48.

Leave the cove and turn to the right.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Let's see 80% chance of rain, fairly strong winds and a small flatbottom boat. I see nothing to worry about. :tounge_out: I don't mind fishing in the rain but combine that with high winds on a lake with a small flatbottom I would be looking to fish the river instead of a lake. I don't fish Keystone enough to give you any pointers but if you do go out there I'd fish close to shore where there's some protection and look for steep dropoffs close to shore(old river, creek channels. Get a good map or if you have a GPS and look for those creek, river channels and deep water close to shore where you won't get beat up being out in the middle of the lake.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I will be fishing with my brother, probably fishing for blues, with the hopes of maybe accidental flathead, use anything we can find for bait, but hopefully find some shad, and I have never even been to the lake before...:confused2:

We did not make it today, but will leave before daylight in the AM, hopefully we will make it this time. Thanks for all the tips!

6. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    If you are going in the AM, better check the weather real close, and think real seriously about below the dam, FLat bottom boats and the lake do not do well, especially with the water temperture being so low. Good Luck.