First trip to Chain of Rocks

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I made my first trip down to Chain of Rocks snagging today. I snagged for about two hours before I walked onto the pier or w/e it is and ran a damn nail into my foot.:crazy: I hit the road and made the 1hr 45 minute trip back home.

I caught one asian carp about 10 pounds, killed him, and had one in the 20 pound range pull of right at the bank. Man those things are fun to fight, they pull so dang hard.

I caught about a dozen little 6" channels, one drum, one buffalo, and lots of shad too. Nobody caught any spoonbill while I was there.

One guy hooked into about a 40 pound flatty while snagging. He got it right up to the bank and then it broke off while he was trying to grab it. It was a dandy.

The water is way up and roaring right now. The water level was just a few below the top of that pier everybody fishes from.

2. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the update and take care of that foot.

Seen any sign of skipjack or white bass running yet?

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I snagged a lot of shad, but I think they were just gizzard shad. I'm not quite sure what a skippy even looks like, but I'm pretty sure they were gizzards.

There was a few guys catfishing, but other then that everybody else was snagging so I don't know about the other fish species. As I was leaving, I seen a guy with a couple curly tail jigs above a 2oz or so weight. I guess he was gonna try for some whites or walleyes.

If my foot feels better by next weekend, I will probably make another trip down there. I'm gonna throw a rod out for catfish this time since I seen that big ol flatty get rolled over there. He got me all wound up for catfishing.

4. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    glad to hear you made it to the spot I told you about. hope you brought home that asian carp to eat. they really are fun snagging

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well I was going to bring home some bigheads, but after I stepped on that nail, I just left them laying in the rocks and die. I need to bring a big tub or something to throw them in next time so I can haul them home.

Do you think the meat would be bad if I just left them out of the water for a few hours?

6. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    if those bighead are about a lb or so, i would worry. but since they average like 10 lbs or more, it takes a lot longer for the meat to spoil. also those things take ages to die. i've left them out of water for four or five hrs in about 60-70 degree weather and they were still wiggling out of my arms.
    dont worry about it spoiling. ive seen plenty of people leave those bighead carps and paddlefish on their truck beds for a good 6-8 hrs and take them home to eat. if you're still worried, just run a rope through their gills and tie it in the water up on those logs and rocks.