First trip out w/ the gas motor!!!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mcronican, Feb 19, 2008.

1. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    So this is my roommates and I's boat, had it for 4 years and just been piddling around w/ a trolling motor and doing small improvements for a while now. We finally got our hands on a 1976 Johnson 9.9 two stroke manual start. It's been a blast, here's a few pics. All are pretty recent so what you see is what we've got at the moment. I did have to order a new recoil spring for the starter though.

Attached Files:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I hope those are crawfish in the first picture. LOL But I am sure you will enjoy the ride more with power. It opens up a whole new world.

3. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    thats a good motor

4. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Must be great to get back on the water.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I had one of those motors for years, and liked it a lot. I'm sure y'all will, too.

You guys be careful out there.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I know the feeling, except I got a bigger motor this year....I haven't stopped smiling yet! :big_smile_2: just remember though....anything is better than rowing, and even a trolling motor goes faster than you can row.

7. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah it's a blast, a little BG on the motor, it was used at a marina while constructing the docks around the time the motor was new, one day it was sunk, along with the entire jon boat it was on, after a few weeks it was recovered, sent in for repair work, came back in great, like new condition, then left for about 20 years, until we came along and had it given to us. It really does open up a whole new world, now we can get on Google Earth and find promising looking spots and just go exploring really, man is it great. I'm still waiting on the recoil starter spring though, couldn't find one for this motor specifically, so I ordered one for a gas trimmer that was configured(bent) in the same way ours was before it broke, if that doesn't work it's off to a boat junk yard. We could use a new prop too, this original is pretty scuffed up and pitted out.

Attached Files:

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    My buddy has a motor alot like that and he loves it! Yall be careful out there and have fun!

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    That is a good looking motor. It should last for years to come as long as you keep the oil mixture where it should be. I always like to mix my oil a little on the rich side when I had a two stroke. One of my friends had a motor and sold it last year, it was a little older than that one but still ran very well. rspd507

10. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This guy seems to find parts for about anything!

maxrules.com/index.html

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    rock on Matt !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

12. mcronican

mcronican New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah she runs pretty good, but last time we had her out we were running up river at full throttle for about 30 minutes when it would suddenly rev up 100 rpm's or so(i'm guessing) and we'd slow down a little, we'd slow down to idle then throttle up again and it'd be fine, any ideas as to what would cause that?

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    sounds like a spun hub on the prop

14. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    If you're having any problems finding parts for the motor, you might want to think about looking on e-bay for an old one, and use it as a source for parts. Saved a bunch on an old Merc. I had that way.
    Congrats on getting away from the oars.........
    Ed

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Still remember when I got my first motor. I think it was a 10 horse seaking. I was in catfish heaven. Congrats and have fun.