First trip on Ohio nets 45+lb Flathead

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Balex123, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For the past 6 weeks or so I've been waiting for Thanksgiving so I can visit my parents and have the opportunity to fish the mighty Ohio. I ended up picking up a few heavier duty rods (thanks Mike) in anticipation that I might be able to catch a large fish ( 20-30lb I was thinking). I knew there was a chance I could hook up with a monster, yet I never really thought it was going to happen, expecially my first time on. So the story goes:

Left home early Friday morning to meet Skimax (Max) in Rising Sun, IN and fish before I head to Louisville to have a late thanksgiving with the family. Ended up getting on the water shortly after 11am. Max did a awesome job at cast netting some fresh shad. After talkin for a few, we ended up arriving at our first spot. Max's buddy Keith threw the anchor in and we began baiting our hooks. After getting setup, no sooner than 10min in, I seen Max jump up (I was still settling in, admiring the view on the river) and then I looked over and seen a rob burried, and line racing out. The sound of that drag releasing was great. Never before have I seen that in the short time I've been fishing. Max grabs the pole and instantly yells my name. I'm like no, its your fish, get it. Max persisted that I take it, so I did. This was great. May I remind you before I left my personal best fish ever was probably not even 5 pounds. Ended up being a small blue, maybe around 15lbs or so. It was a good fight, as it seemed harder to reel the closer I got him in.

Meanwhile.... Time goes by.. We've since moved to a different spot and gotten set up. After some time, seen my first rod dance. It was only a couple little pecks, but I knew it wasn't the wind or current. Picked up the rod and set the hook and began to battle. No sooner than I set the hook, Max yelled to Keith "hay hay that rod next to him, grab it, think somethings on." I wasn't paying to much attention to him, but both fights went rather quick. Both ended up being small flatheads, almost identical, maybe 5lbers. It was my first flathead, so I took a couple pictures.

Later on.... After grilling up some delicious chops (thanks Max!), we probably went our longest time without any action. Maybe few hours.

Now the good part.... I was in the back seat close to my rods just enjoying the day when I seen my beefstick dip two times real quick. I jumped up quick to grab it, and once I did, it was on!!! I tried to set the hook, but couldn't really pull up. I felt something alive, so I knew I had one on. I'm still kinda new to the sport, so I just thought i might have gotten a 20-30lber. Boy was I wrong. After bracing my left leg up on the back of the boat for leverage, I proceeded to start reeling. I was praying that it didn't spit it out, as a few did earlier. We was in about 60+ feet of water, so I knew it was going to be a fight. It was mind blowing to see myself reeling in, yet my spool wasn't even moving. I yelled to Max and Keith " I don't think I'm doing anything," after seeing tons of line peel out. Keith calmly told me I was okay, doing fine, and Max reminded me we have all day, and no hurry.

In closing, Managed to reel in a Giant Flathead. It was 45in long, with a girth of 32. We didn't have a scale on the boat, but was told he was atleast 45 pounds. Talked to my buddy, and him and another put it little over 50. Been looking around on the site, and with the dimensions of others compared to this one, it could easily be 50+.

The day ended up bringing in six fish if im correct. 3 Flats, 2 Blues, and a huge channel (maybe 10 or so). Max ended up reelin in a nice sized blue shortly after the Flat. Kieth reeled in the channel shortly after that also. Was only maybe an hours time for all three.

In all, I'm very grateful to have experienced what I did. I can't thank Max enough for letting me ride along. It was nice to just be able to fish, as Kieth did all the anchoring also. Thanks Kieth. All fish were released alive and healthy. Maybe little tired :wink:

Thank you also to everyone that supports the BOC and runs and maintains it.. Without you, this would have probably never happened.

[youtubevid]R5Zq58Go9vw[/youtubevid]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  2. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    More photos

Attached Files:

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice Catch. Congrats!

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    nice fish congrats:wink:

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Way to go Bryan.... Great story, nice day on the water, and a new PB to boot... congrats

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrats on a great day!

im gonna say the fish was more than 45lbs!

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    awesome trip, that fish looks 60 to me.....now you can spend the rest of your life trying to top that.......lol.......nice fish!!

8. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats a great day right there. Good report, good pictures, good story.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Great story, I really enjoyed it. For more weights, my 41# Flathead was 44 inches long ( bigger than the one in my avatar ) so your weight guess IMO is on, or darn close.

A big congrats, thanx for the pics and story ; )

-Jim-

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats and good story.

11. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good job Bryan, When are you going back down there?

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
  13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    What a beautiful fish. I was so pumped to see it landed, I was a little nervous putting that net under it, that's for sure! After looking at the pics, I bet that guys was pushing 55, maybe a little bigger. I could be wrong, but I think 50 is a safe bet. I am already planning on getting to bass pro to buy a new scale. My old one totally crapped out and I don;t think it woulda mattered, it only went to 50. :smile2:

You are more than welcome in my boat anytime! I had a great day. We need to get back together over christmas and go after some big blues!!!

14. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    Great story and awesome fish.

For reference - the fish in my avatar was around 55 lbs.

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    congrats on a great flat.beautiful fish.bet you ain't stopped smilin' yet.i still would be.:0a32:i'm next.

16. Excelent report! Nice Thanksgiving surprise there buddy.:big_smile:

17. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Congrates Bryan! Thats a nice flatty for your first trip.

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS