First trip of the year on the Kaw

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Mar 5, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Taking my first fishing trip of the year Saturday and Sunday on the Kaw. Going to take my buddies new boat out, if you see a white tracker grizzly stop by and say hi. Anybody been doing any good around kaw point and up river lately?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ive read some reports of people having luck up there.
    Good luck and be careful. Not a super friendly river to navigate.:smile2:

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Lot's of stuff you can run into when the river is this low, just be careful and take it nice and slow. I should be on the water Saturday, but I won't go too far up the Kaw at these levels.

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will be at kaw point tomorrow morning bright and early. I won't even attempt to go up the Kaw right now. It is too low for my taste. I will be out on the MO. Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I hope to see you down there. Gary is the 69 bridge closed going over the MO? If so I will have to find another route to Kaw point. Any suggestions?

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Matt,

69 South looked to be closed yesterday, they had some guys working underneath it.

I'd catch I-435 South down past Cabelas to I-70, and then take I-70 East across. Be sure when I-70 and I-670 split that you stay with I-70 (basically a 2 lane exit to the right), and then just stay in the right lane until it exits at James Street. Go straight at the stop sign, turn right at Fairfax Trafficway.

Not sure exactly how you usually come in, but things should look familiar by the time you are on Fairfax Tfwy.

I'll probably head down whenever Steve wants to launch, and give him a hand getting the boat in the water for the first time. Not sure how early that will be, but he is pretty anxious to get out there.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You could also follow I-635 to I-70 East, and then follow the same directions from I-70 to Kaw Point.

7. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Gary we will get there some how. We are getting ready to leave my house in St. Joe in about 20 mins. Hope to see you down there. Looks like we have got a little window between the rains.

8. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt, not for sure how you went. If you go down the Broadway extension, once you cross the broadway bridge you can hop on I-70 west and it will put you right at Kaw Point.

9. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    That is the way I went, I think that is almost easier than driving all the way through Fairfax district.

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just thought I'd let you know how we did on the Kansas river over the weekend. I got skunked both days. Had a few bites but they were pretty weak and they didn't want to come back. Kevin actually caught 2 fish on sunday, but they weren't catfish. Both were sturgeon. That was kind of weird, it was the first time I've seen one caught before. We were using shad sides, shad heads, night crawlers just for kicks, minnows, and some trout heads that Kevin had frozen (also just for kicks and curiousity). Most of the baits were probably oversized for those finicky bites, but we were able make smaller chunks out of the shad sides and what few bites we got they still were just one timers. The river was pretty low Saturday as mentioned before, but it seemed to come up several feet after the rain Saturday night and I'm pretty sure it was still rising even after we left at dark Sunday evening.

We got up to the 635 bridge and thats as far as we wanted to go... theres a real deep hole on the east side, but it kind of looked like there was a weir dam or something right under the bridge from the looks of the current so we decided that was as far as we needed to go. Is that a weir dam or was it just a sand bar or something?

We probably should have fished the MO River since the Kansas was so low, but we felt like since he's still getting used to his new boat (its a jet motor and a little hard to menuever until you get used to it) that we don't need to be battling the current. Also he hadn't got an anchor yet so I brought up the one I use on my 14' boat... we just didn't think we could get it to hold on the MO. Oh well, we had a good time anyway.... any body else do any good?

11. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I caught a 13 lb Flathead last Thur. I am goin tomorrow so we'll see.:smile2:
    Still sounds like a good time.

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    The surface temp on the Kansas was right around 56 or 58 when we were on it... I imagine its about time to start chasing them flatties again:smile2:. We were just going for channels and blues this weekend though... we were just happy to catch sturgeon though being our first time out, haha.

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I know, it just feels good to be fishin. Even better when the rod starts movin.:smile2:
    Im hopin tomorrow is gonna be good, seein how there is a front movin in. The rivers should come up some too.:wink::cross:

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Steve, There is a shallow spot right at the 635 bridge, but as far as I know it's just sand or maybe some gravel. The deepest water is usually over close to the left bank headed upstream, but it could easily still be just a foot or so of water. I think I saw you guys leaving the boat ramp and heading upstream on Saturday, I was that V bottom boat that came in off the Missouri.

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Okay, I thought that might have been you but I wasn't sure and if it was someone trying trailer their boat I didn't want us to get in their way. So we headed up river. Was that you in the deep V with the windshield? I think we drove by on the highway and saw you anchored up on the MO on our way to the ramp if that was your boat.

You're right about there being a hole on the left side though. It was about 28 feet on Sunday, that was our last stop. There were tons of carp jumping around in that area. And there was sure alot of trash in that area building up after the rain. Looked like a great place to fish on the depth finder but we only got a few one timer bites, nothing wanted to take our bait though.

16. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Here's a pic of one of the sturgeon I caught. Got this one on a worm and he just sat on it, didnt even know I had one on till I was reeling in.

Other one was pretty much identical, caught on shad side. He actually tok off and ran with it.

Attached Files:

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    They are sure a weird lookin fish.
    There is one record of one being caught here in Wichita.
    How in the hell did it get here?:eek:oooh::smile2:
    Better than gettin skunked, I think.

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

river is full of the shovel nose sturgen they dont get very big like there big cousins the white sturgen

19. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    has anyone ever fished the kansas river down near manhattan, never fished it yet, just curious as to if its worth a weekend campout.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeff, I did years ago, when I had my flatbottom, I'd put in on the Blue at the boatramp just east of Manhattan and motor down to the Kansas. Aways had pretty good luck there. Where do you plan on shore fishing?