First trip of 2006-Results

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by khensu0213, Apr 17, 2006.

1. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well brothers, I hit the Fox river just north of the Wisconsin border with Illinois this past Saturday (4/15/06). It was a nice day (upper 60's, sunshine). Got there about 5AM, fishing close to the bridge on Highway C. River was high, with pretty good current. I started out fishing with large roach minnows, without a hit. Next tried some nice nightcrawlers. Got a few nibbles on these and started using some fat leaf worms (looked like nightcrawlers at half the size). Started getting better hits. Finally hooked into a nice channel cat, but made an amateur mistake and tried to muscle the fish in rather than let it play. The result? Got it about 4 feet from the shore, saw it make a run, but rather than let it run, I got excited and kept on pulling....end result was that it snapped my 20lb test line and got away.:crying: After kicking myself a few times for the bonehead mistake, I went back to fishing, and a little while later hooked into another nice channel. this time I played it smart and landed it. It was a beautiful 2 pound channel with lots of fight.:) Unfortunately, that was my last encounter with cats that day. For the remaining time I hooked into several sheepheads (one of which was about the size of the cat I landed), a nice striped bass, and a little small mouth bass, which I threw back because it was so small. In the end, I have a few nice filets in the freezer, and am looking forward to my next trip. I'm happy I at least landed one nice channel cat that day. The blood is pumpin now...I think I've got the fever.:cool:

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Am a thinking that fever is spreading like wildfire this time of year. Could get to be of epidemic strength before summer is over. I don't think they'll ever find a cure for it either.

3. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois

If there is a cure, I don't want it!!!

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Way to go on the first fish of the year. I love the Fox River, I fish the river about 2 times a year in the Cary/Fox River Grove area just outside of Chicago. Unlce of mine caught a 34lb flathead off the dock in the backyard just 2 summers ago.