First Trip - 2 catfish went over 30 pounds!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by DanMan, Nov 25, 2008.

1. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    Made my first trip to the james this past weekend. Saturday didn't get to fish but about half the day the wind was so bad. But sunday was a good day. We caught 18 with two alittle over #30. Got to use my new gill net which worked good. And learned my boat will run in 2ft of water just fine but 1 1/2 gets alittle tight.:tounge_out: Didn't really want to find that out but oh well. So all and all a good fist trip of many more to come I hope.

2. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yeah, i can tolerate some pretty cold temps, but that wind here lately is really making things tough...sounds like an over-all good turn-out though!! Good job for sticking it out! :wink: I pulled a guy off a sand bar in the shallows a few weeks ago just to get stuckish myself 10 minutes later:angry: My motor didn't sound right for several hours.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the catch, a day like that will cure a good skunking anytime. Thanks for sharing

4. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    stick it out Damman, it only gets better. My trips seem to produce better each time. I learn something new every trip.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Durned old catfish will drive you crazy and have you out there fishing in sub freezing weather. Bring it on!!! Thanks for the report.

6. jaybeeyakker

jaybeeyakker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Danman,
    Sounds like you had a successful trip. The boat in your avatar looks like mine. Did you get yours from Scott at Smith Mountain Boat and Tackle? I traded my bassboat in for a new Skiff and have rigged it specifically for catfishin. I've had mine on the James twice now with the next trip planned for two weeks away. I'm very pleased with the performance and it will run a little shallower than my previous craft.
    Congrats on a good trip.

7. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    Yeah I did get the boat from Smith mountain boat and tackle. It's a 218dlv and I love it. Plenty of room and nice and stable.