First trapping season

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by CatfishHateMe, Jul 1, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Im gettin my stuff together for my first season this year and i have a few questions and im turnin to you more experianced guys like i always do. is it a necessity to dye your traps? ive herd its kindda pointless and ive herd its somethin you cant slack off on. also, how do you guys kill the animal when using a hole set? ill probably have some more questions later and if a few of you guys dont care id like to pm you a few questions when i think of em. thanks and take it easy.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    WELLLLL....
    i believe u are talking about a dirt hole set.....

but i carry a .22 and shoot them in the head... most humane and quickest IMO

dyeing your traps protects them from rusting..

a good way of dyeing ur traps quick.. and for ur first season.. use speed dip...

ill send u a PM about some other stuff...

ALSO find 223smitty and ask him some ?'s he directed me when i started out trapping... also cuttingout helped too

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would definitly dye and wax your traps ,It will make them last much longer and the wax also lubes them making them faster, as for dispatching a 22 short to the head or just behind the shoulder in the ribs works well i prefer the ribs as there is less blood while skinning.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

dyeing and waxing traps is a must dyeing helps keep them from rusting sna do does the wax wax also will helps speed up your trap. when dispacthing animals it will depend on what you are doing and how you are trapping if near water use drowning sets for your critters, if on land bobcats will choke down real easy and with no pelt damage. you can do the same thing with coyotes or a .22 to the back of the head but that will bleed for days it seems. coons a fast hard hit to the head will knock them dead. i know alot of people just like to shoot them but i get tired of trying to clean blood of the fur. you can dispacth animals very fast without a gun

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yea i knew i was forgetting a few things..

for fox i just hit them in the head wiht a trowel and step on their ribs... saves all the blood from getting all over all that beautiful fur...

drowners are very nice... #1 they sometimes can SAVE you animals... because coons are nortorious for "chewouts" but if u use a small trap u dont have to worry as much about this... drowners have saved me proally about 3-4out of 11 aniamls this year

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with the others on dying your foothold traps. I do not mess with it on my conibear traps or snares. On snares I boil them in baking soda to take the shine off them. Good luck on your first season.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just as with cat fishing you will find everyone dose it a little different. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. I personally no longer dye my land set traps such as 1.5 and MB550’s. I just keep them waxed. I have never really dyed my coon traps as a good film coat of rust then keeping the oil after every season has keep them in good shape. The only rust you do not want to happen is pit rust. The only time I have ever had this happen is when my coon traps were taken by rising water and left for while under water. The first thing you have to do to dye them is hang them out side and rust them, then dye them. I boil and clean mine through out the year so I do not worry about them rusting up to bad.

There are a lot of different dispatch methods, PM me and I will explain the pros and cons of them to you.

8. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Dyeing traps will keep them from rusting. All my water traps just get painted as they need it. You got some good advice on dispatch but dont hesitate to shoot an animal to keep from getting bit. Draw an imaginary "x" between the eyes and ears and a .22 short puts the lights out. You dont have to sew this hole and it wont decrease the value. Any other shots or holes need to be sewed up. I drown beaver, rats, mink, and coon. Fox and yotes get shot. Cats get the neck loop. Good luck on your season and if you are like most, you are about to enter a whole new life style!!!!

9. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good for you Jay! If you ever have any spare time, you should do alittle research on the heritage of trapping. It'll give you a whole new perspective while on your trapline.

If I have time, I'll dye & wax, but I have no problem taking new shiney traps, modifying/adjusting, cleaning them, then straight to the wax bucket. Dye is mainly to help hide the trap. All my water traps get dyed to help them blend-in. Dirt traps get covered anyway, so a pink trap would still catch fur. Anytime wax gets worn off the trap, it should be swapped-out for a fresh one.

I use ice melt as antifreeze on my sets at times during freeze/that conditions, but am careful to swap them out & wash them off regularly so they can be retreated & put back into action.

Do they "have" to be? How many traps 100 years ago you think get the dye & wax treatment? lol, I bet not many, and because of lack of regulations & conservation the beaver were nearly wiped-out back then.

If you have questions in the future, post them here (possibly excluding dispatching) as it may help another beginning trapper who could have the same question(s).

Smitty

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with most of the information above except the shooting between the eyes or anywhere in the head with the exception of directly in the ear with a .22 short and even that causes a lot of blood. In some states its illegal to dispatch a beaver with a gun. Most furbearers can be knocked out by a sharp light blow with a stick or trowel handle just above the nose on the snout long enough to dispatch them by stepping on their rib cage to stop their heart. I think this is the most humane way, even hitting them over the head with a club makes an ugly spot on the flesh side of the pelt. I hope all of you have a great upcoming season of trapping and a good year of catfishing.

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Roger, I'm gonna have to get you to take me with you sometime. I always wanted to help someone run a line. I get too involved with duck and deer hunting to pursue trapping but I bet I would make a heck of an occasional assistant. :smile2: I've been wanting to just see what it's all about for a long time now. Something to think about. :smile2::wink: