Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 2 of 22 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
I don't hunt with decoys anymore myself. If you use them on public ground be careful. If ya see someone, whistle or speak in an auditable voice,,,,DO NOT CALL at them. As far as callers I recommend some sort of friction call to start. Learn to condition the caller with sand paper or scotchbrite. If you chose a box, spare the sanding but use a good chalk thats not oil based. I hunt with mouth callers and slates but there are alot of good callers on the market. My favorite being an "ole yeller" by "Knight & Hale" good luck and don't get discouraged.
I use decoys all the time but I hunt private land alot. Do be careful using decoys on public land if you hunt there. The easiest call to use is the push pull type call. Slate or glass calls are easy to use also. Practice with them. There are alot of good instructional dvds out there that should help you out. If you know anyone who turkey hunts, get them to help you learn a few calls and about decoys.

· Registered
536 Posts
thx for all the good advice but i just asked my friend about the spot we are going to hunt down in meigs county ohio. and he also seid that the turkeys are really call shy down there.
Call shy birds usually require alot of patience and when it comes to calling to them, I usually just purr, cluck, and scratch in the leaves. Call shy birds can be aggravating to hunt, but hang in there.

1 - 2 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.