First timer James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by basstardo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Howdy Y'all,

I'm gonna make my first trip up to the James this weekend, but I'm no stranger to fishing the tidal rivers in VA. I have fished all over the Chickahominy for the past 5 years with great results. My personal best is 63 pounder caught earlier this year in May. I'm not sure where I'm going to launch yet, but if anyone could help me out as to a good starting point I would be very grateful. I am in Williamsburg, and plan on trailering up on Sunday. I should be able to find the fish, but any tips on finding bait would be appreciated as well. :D

Thanks,
    Terry

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    launch at deep bottom

bait stays there year round although the colder it gets the harder they are to catch .. you'll still get enough it'll just take longer than during the summer

you'll also be close the the infamous dutch gap area and reasonable running distance to presquille, the bh bridge, and the wrecks

3. RACN35

RACN35 New Member

State:
    GREAT NECK- VIRGINIA
    hi ! just signed on the other day, good looking site here.....i will take you up on that offer bass ! as far as deep bottom goes, i launced there last year and 2 out of 3 times the ramp was froze over and 2 wheel drive would not have pulled my heavy boat up that ramp !! my .02

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    no kiddin racn? i've never seen the ramp frozen .. weird

5. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    If you are looking for the best ramp on the Henrico side of the river closest to I-64 and 95, use Osborne Landing. That is by far the BEST landing i've ever seen anywhere..clean and they have 6 very large ramps there. Huge parking lot. It's located at the Intersection of Kingsland Road and Osborne Turnpike...I can give more specific directions if needed... Deep Bottom was so much smaller and a little steeper... Deep Bottom is only a 8-10 minute boat ride from Osborne and Dutch Gap ....

6. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Thanks for the advice so far guys. I have a big ass 4x4 and my boat ain't very big, so I should be ok on just about any ramp as long as it isn't completely covered in ice. I sometimes keep kitty litter in my truck just for such an occasion, so I may pick some up before hand, but hopefully I won't need it.

I hear the water is mighty cold up there, and I'll be using a cast net, but I really hope I don't have to throw for an hour to get a few decent shad. I really only need 1 or 2. Is it worth throwing from land around the ramps?

7. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    We used a casting net last weekend around Deep Bottom and caught a couple shad...but that was from a boat...havent tried it from land...Water is chilly! I registered it around 46-48 degrees last weekend...If you arent sure that you will be able to catch any shad, there is a bait shop right up the street from both Osborne Landing and Deep Bottom. It's called Fin and Skin and they are right on New Market Road...They sell Frozen shad in there for i believe $2.99 per 3 pack... they also have eels if needed...you could stop there and pick up a bag just to be on the safe side!

8. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Awesome. Thanks for the info on the bait shop. Do eels produce very well? I will take fresh shad over anything any day of the week, but I've heard the blues will chomp an eel too.

9. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Yes- Eels can be very productive... Alot of people say shad work better but i actually had more hits the time i took eels....i guess that's what is so good about Catfish..they will eat ANYTHING! :p

10. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    The other thing about eels is if there are any hog striper running around they'll smack 'em too. I'm not sure if the real slob stripers ever head up that far, but they're just as fun if you ask me. Ain't as perty though :p

11. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i wouldn't throw your cast net from land at deep bottom unless you're interested in buying a new one

this time of year shad produce better than eels but i'm sure you'd catch a few on them .. eels are more of a summer/fall bait for some reason

if you have a cast net and launch from deep bottom you should be ok to get some .. just launch before or right at sunup .. you should see some flipping on the surface .. just throw where they flip and you'll get some

12. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    I bet the eels are more lively in warmer water. The cold chills em out I would imagine. I also wonder if it's because the shad are easier to get after than an eel for the blues. Less energy expended to feed maybe :confused:

13. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    There is a flat across from deep bottom ramp that should produce some shad for you if you just want a few but its not the best place for shad this time of year.

14. RACN35

RACN35 New Member

State:
    GREAT NECK- VIRGINIA
    sorry tank by froze over i mean ::: the water from the dozen boats before me taking their boats out.....the run off from the trailors onto the ramp was froze and was a sheet of ice..