First Time Walleye Fishing

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by Human Resources 31, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I am going to try it in the fall any tips on rigging setups I am lost never walleye fished. thanks

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to use bucktail jigs and crankbaits. I mostly fish in the fall right through winter. When the ice melts and the water gets in the lower 40's the walleye start to spawn which can be real good.
    Stay near the bottom and retrieve your lure as slow and steady as you can. For more aggresive walleyes you could try spoons jigged near the bottom.
    A leadhead jig with a small minnow works year round for a lot of people.

3. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Well Jay pretty much covered the way to start walleye fishing. He does catch more than his share so he's a good one to ask. All I would ask is are you fishing from a boat,are you fishing rivers or are you fishing lakes? Trolling worm harnesses on planer boards or bottom bouncers is one way I can almost get walleyes everytime out. That's when I'm fishing a big lake with deep and shallow water, once you can see them on your electronics then just set your depths. That's when line counter reels come in to play. One other way is vertically jigging spoons, that's my favorite way in late fall. Now that's what else I do in lakes that Jay didn't mention. As far as rivers I'd say follow his advice by the book, only I found hollow belly swimbaits have been very effective for me in the past year.

4. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I just noticed this thread and would like to ask a couple of questions,
    some of the guys here from the B.O.C. want to come up here this winter and try catching a few,
    we will be fishing in the Current River, it is a spring fed river, and clear, it gets really low in the winter time, but does have large holes in it, I know that the people that fish for Walleyes do it in the winter months,
    after reading the post I know why, it is the spawning season, we will be fishing from a boat,

what do I need to look for in way of structure, gravel?? deep holes??
    current seams?? from what I can read is that Walleye or light sensitive,
    would drift fishing the deeper holes with a jig head and minnow work ?? or a Night Crawler,

I know that the boat ramp is full of people in December and January,

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If it's really clear you might want to fish the deeper holes witha jig head and minnow. I'd rather anchor up and drag some some bucktails along the bottom real slow. Fish the early morning before the sun gets up till they stop biting. Last few hours before dark too.
    I like a gravel bottom with a little sand or rocks about the size of your fist . You might need a fluor. leader if it's that clear and the fish are spooky.
    Fish them eddy's too they'll be in there at the inlet and outlet.
    I get them as shallow as 4 ft. right before they spawn in stained water.

7. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks to you both for the information,

do you think live bait is better than plastic's ?????

also, have you ever used a Carolina Rig for them ??? say on a Ultra Light, R&R

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Live bait might catch a few more, but I almost always use artificial.
    Never use a carolina rig. A decent trout or smallmouth rod in the med-lite action works good with 6 or 8 lb. line.

9. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I have used carolina rigging with nightcrawlers, but we call it Lindy rigging.Same principle hook>leader>barrell swivel and I prefer walking sinkers because they're designed no to snag as easy.As far as Plastic or live bait I almost always take both. Walleyes can be finicky and you're better of being prepared. Certain times all they want is live bait and other times it's plastic.On those special occassions they hit anything that hits the water.

10. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I will give it a shot!

:wink:

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If you have to, go down with a pair of binoculars and scope 'em out.
    Cuts the learning curve in half.

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've done really well with stick baits ect on lake erir. Walleye are take fairly easy on this body of water with jigs ect.

13. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I have no depth finder or huge knowledge on walleye fishing I am about 1/2 mile from a huge dam and I know they have a walleye tournaments every year and I plan on just going to some of the spots were I have seen other boats fishing for walleye. There is another spot where the mouth of a small river goes into a bigger river I will try in that area. Hell if I catch one Ill be happy lol

14. Les101

Les101 Guest

How come you never told me half this much?:angry:

15. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

With a head that big and a brain so small I know you wouldn't understand.

16. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You hit the nail on the head that time!:wink: Great tip

17. Les101

Les101 Guest

We've never used them but has anyone ever used wire leaders for trolling for eyes? Seems the Pike are starting to get hungry and there biting off a lot of our hot n tots.

18. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Since you mentioned you're by a large dam, its a great place during the spawning run. Just before the spawn starts, the males will concentrate at the dam, with the larger females further downstream. I think many people are not aware of this and fight the crowds at the dam, all fighting for small males. I usually fish maybe 200 yards downstream or more for the bigger females. A jighead tiped with a fathead minnow or jumbo leech, bounced along the current works well for me. Good luck!

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    They catch a few eyes here in my neck of the woods on green river below the old lock and dams.The river is a medium size one with a depth of 2-10 ft in the summer and 10 -30 ft in the winter.Ive seen guys fishing right in the white water for em this summer but I couldnt make out what they were using for bait.The water temp gets up to around 80-90 degrees on down the river in the summer and I dont hear of any being caught on downstream.What would be a good method for catching them in that situation?

20. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Try a heavy bucktail on the bottom or a nightcrawler.