First time using circles! Muskingum 8-18-09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Wanderlei, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Wanderlei

Wanderlei New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I thought I'd give them a run and see how i do. As well as using cut bait for flatties even though they only eat live.:wink:(Big Ups to Flathunter) After having a hell of a time just getting some shad worth using I fished from 8:30 to midnight. I caught 4 channels a leatherback and this little guy on a gill head!!! which is my 2nd Flattie and biggest. God I love these fish. He about yanked my pole in the river. I didn't have my clicker on because I thought you didn't while using circles. All fish and turtles were CPR'd.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Nice fish. Them circles work real good fo cats.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice flat man! REPS for sharing..

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nice catches. And tight lining with circle hooks is the best method.

5. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    yea you hook alot more fish tightlining the circles rather than free spool........RAT

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The only downside to using circles from a bank is you more than likely don't have the appropriate angle. It's said a 45 degree angle is best for circle sets to load themselves properly. Most people on the bank just use stick or cinder blocks to hold their rods up. I've missed quite a few on the bank, so I'm making my own rod holders really soon.

Also going back to JHooks on one of the poles. I got to load into a good sized flathead last night, and he took me into a snag ... again. :embarassed: He's done it to 3 other people too, can't wait until one of us land him and get all of our hooks back. :D

/ James

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Nice fish.

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC! Thanks for the post an pics congrats!

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good Job Keep on fishing

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

So put some swimming trunks on and go grab him and get your tackle back! :smile2::wink:

11. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    The BOC turned me to circles and my catch ratio is a lot better congradulations:wink::cool2:

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on your personal best Flat. I cant make the switch to circles, settin the hook is part of the fun!

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You don't have to lose your rod to use circles. Fish tight line with the clicker on and loosen your drag so the rod won't come off the rod holder.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Couldn't pay me enough to get in that water, bro. You know me. :smile2::smile2:

15. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    James, I only bank fish and use exclusively use circle hooks. Just switched this year. I have a rod holder that looks like a sping that sticks right in the ground. I point my rod straight up and been landing a lot of cats. My buddy uses regular hooks. I am out-catching him 10:1 this year on the Ohio River.

Been fishing with him for 50 years and this is the first year that I have out-fished him. He also uses the old style fork from tree limbs for a rod holder. I think that may be hurting him also.

16. Wanderlei

Wanderlei New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah right! I 've had to wade in a couple times to get my cast net back.

17. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

BPS sells those rod holders. Too bad they're not wide enough to hold a Tiger Rod or I'd have them.

Circle hooks need tension to load up. Using a forked stick as a holder is either going to flip over to the side, or the pole will start dragging into the water. There's no resistance there for the fish to hook himself.

When I use cinder blocks as rod holders, I have no problem. I think I have yet to catch a fish when I'm using a stick as a rod holder. I guess this is something to really think about.

/ James