First time using circle hooks...how bad can it be? LOL!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I know that a lot has been thrown around here on the BOC regarding cirlce hooks...I have never used them before. My local outfitter didnt have any wide gap hooks for me and the ones I have are missing runs big time....so I opted to purchase a pack of 7/0 wide gap cirlcle hooks from DIICHI (SP?) Im kinda worried about using them because from what I understand, if you try to set the hook the normal way, you'll miss the fish every time...I was told by the guy in the store to "sweep the rod sideways"...I guess we'll see how it works:eek:oooh:.

2. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Are you using baitrunners? fishing from the bank or a boat?

If your using baitrunners i would leave them off and tighten the drag down good. If your on the bank i would make sure the rods are anchored good. If in a boat make sure your rod holders are tight.
    Either way i would make sure your won't take off and just let the fish load up the rod and set the hook them self. If the fish starts to run for you just try to out reel them and pull the line tight.

I hope this helps.

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have spinning reels on all my rods...and I will be fishing from a boat. Should I just leave the drag off and let the fish run...then tighten that drag down?

4. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I would leave the drag on and just let the fish run against the rod. Let the rod double down then pick it up and start reeling.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont touch the rod untill it is bent over double, then slowly pull back when you feel the fish!

6. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    So at no time will I actually snatch up on the rod to set the hook right?

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Right!!!!..You will know when it's time to pick the rod up, when you think man! this fish has to be on there, wait a couple more seconds:big_smile:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to enjoy clicker runs and setting the hook, but watching that rod pull down in the holder is just as much fun for me.

The 50lb flathead that I caught last week played with the bait for awhile, so if I had not given him time I probably would not have caught the fish.

I just set there and watched the rod bounce several times, then the fish decided to pull hard and I knew I had him.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also, leave as much of the hook showing as you can, hook the bait as light as possible.

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If your talking about the "circle chunk light" style hook then it is the exact same hook as the TEAM CATFISH DOUBLE ACTION HOOK, they are good hooks, just try not to yank thier heads off when setting it. I sent a PM to team catfish and he said if you wan't to set the hook yourself then give slight yet firm swing... or you can let it hook itself like on a circle hook. If we are talking about the same hook and you are having trouble with the hookup ratio then try downsizing the hook size! This will let you know if your dealing with a bait snatching dink or a light biting monster:wink:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As suggested, don't even touch the rod until it bends over double. Then really, you don't "have" to be in a hurry to get to the rod, because the fish hooks themselves. Many folks, myself included, occasionally rapidly reel down on the rod a few turns while it is still in the rod holder, when a fish is on. Once you get the hang od the circles, you won't look back. You are also right in that "at NO time do you set the hook". It isn't necessary and will often result in the circle being pulled from the fish's mouth. As for the "sweeping" motion of the rod suggested by the hook guy, well, I don't know about that one but that sounds kinda crazy to me. I use Gamakatsu 8.0 OCTOPUS circles, and have about a 95% hookup/landing ratio on legitimate take downs.

Bill in SC

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm sold on circle hooks...gonna run out and get me some.

Thanks for the great information, gentlemen. I have enjoyed reading this thread.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    fish it like a bank line set it and forget it. if its pulling drag its a pretty safe bet its on there. if shes gonna taker down than by all means let her do the work, if not you can experiment with slowly sweeping the rod, reeling down when the rod starts to load, or pump then reel like you normaly would as long as you DONT JERK you should do fine.:smile2: very important make shure the fish is pulling away from you before you pull back very important.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    When the rod loads up I reel down on them 2 or 3 turns before removing from the rod holder. Miss very few fish this way.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The wide gap circles are the key for me.The hookup ratio is much better I think.Just let the fish hook itself as others have said.If you dont like or cant get the hang of circles ,switch to Kahles.All the advantages of circles as far ascorner mouth hookups but wider gap and you can set the hook if you wish.You get back this way Devil Dog give me a call and I'll take you to Santee or the James whichever you prefer.:big_smile:

16. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well...those hooks worked really great!!! I didnt have any problems learning how to use them, thanks you all here on the BOC! My hook up rate went from poor on my last two trips, to only one fish missed Friday night!

17. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a friend who just started fishing with me for cats. It is hard as heck to break him of the habit of setting the hook. I wait until the rod is doubled over then I grab for the pole. He thinks every little twitch is a fish and yanks the pole up. He is starting to learn. Funny thing is I bring a chair set my poles and sit down and veg heck i have even fallen asleep and when I hear my bells ringing I look up and see what my pole is doing. If I dont see it doubled over I dont even reach for it. I wait about 10 minutes then I will pull it in check bait and recast it. Takes some time to get use to not hard setting a hook.

18. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well....the wife kicked me and the boys out of the house Tuesday night. The boys and my nephew were restless, bored and noisy...so my wife and mom told us to go away! Ofcourse, to me "Away" is straight to the river! Got there early and toyed with some 'gills...I didnt think that the flatties were biting since they should be on the spawn...(same thing I have been thinking the last few times we hit the water). I pretty much sat back and watched the boys fish while I untangled lines and made hot dogs...plus my nephew isnt much of an angler. He's a really good drummer though and I was reminded of this every 20 minutes or so when I had to stop him from beating his foot on the floor of the boat! At one point he was even using a rod as a drum stick on the rail of the boat...:cool2: I stayed very cool.... eventually, we boated two flatties...one was so small, it was hard to beleive that it had managed to get the bluegill into its mouth! The other came not too long afterward...my oldest son pulled in one that was almost 7lbs. It was a decent night too. Air temps were in the 80's and water temp was around 75...with plenty of stars out. My nephew liked it.

19. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Put the rod in a good rod holder and let the hook do its job 99.9% of the time it will hook them good then pick the rod up and enjoy the fight.If you do prefer to try to set the hook sweeping the rod to the side will also work or just hold the rod strait out in front of you and pull strait back on it.

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ROFL...This is funny! :smile2: I can just see this happening...

I'm glad you are having good success with the circles. I haven't had a chance to try out my new KatBobber yet, but from what I have read in the testimonials, Wild Wolf Products' KatBobbers are a great addition to the terminal tackle.