First time river fisher

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by catfishplaya, May 1, 2006.

1. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    ok everyone iam looking for some basic advise here, i have done all my catfishing in lakes and ponds, i really want to hit the ol' mighty mississippi river the next chance i get, so i need some advise plz, what size hooks ? (how big) and as far as the wieghts no problem whatever gets me to the bottom and stays there , but my main question is, what size hooks???

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    First , you want to match your hook size to the size of bait you plan on using. I mostly use live baitfish 4-9 inches and large chunks of cut bait, therefore I use hooks no less than 6/0 and up to 12/0 depending on bait size. The weight will depend on current. I use 2oz up to 5oz slip sinker in the Ohio river.
    Good luck, hope ya catch a biggun

3. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Basic rule with weights what get to the bottom lite current a 4. fast current 6-8 ounce no roll flat sinker. Hhook go with a 7/0with cut bait or live.:tounge_out:

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I seem to use smaller hooks than most of these guys. I mainly fish for flatheads in the mississippi. I caught a 60 r 70 lb flat head on easter using a # 2 kayle. I also use big blue gils, as big as I can catch. If I got a real big gill I will switch to a # 4 or # 6 hook. As far as weight goes, I mainly fish close to shore so I don/t have to use that big of weight . I usually use a three. Welcome to fishing the mississippi. We got some big uns here. It took me a couple of years to kinda figure it out , good luck. Where are you from? You should put your location on your profile, that way you can get local information from local fishermen. Illinois is a big state.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    You'll need enough weight to hold your bait down in the current. I use flat no roll sinkers of a minimum of 2 ounces on the illnois river with large chunks of cut bait. I'd use a minimum of a 5/0 sized hook.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi. Aaron,well ive fished the missouri river now for more years now than i care to say. and its been a blast!!!!. I mostly use live bait big bluegils, shad, and river chubs. Like was said before match your hook to your bait size . I mainley use between a 07/09 sometimes even a 012. I prefere a kahley hook but some folks like the circle type. I for one have not quite mastered the art of letting the fish hook themself. Im always to quick on the draw. one hint though make sure your hooks are realy sharp get yourself a good hook file and use it because those big brusers have a realy tough mouth. and dont get discouraged some times it takes a litle while to figure a river out. But the folks at the b.o.c. are always glad to help.Good luck and catch a big one. Bigcatman0816.

7. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    went to the river today and did did fishing in the ol' mississippi, had a ok day caught about 8 chaneels all wieghing between 3- 8 lbs. and how do you hook them bluegill to use for bait , thanks for the input everyone

8. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I hook them throught the back of the dorsal fin myself . I like the injury action,sodoes the flatheads.:cool2:

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    My personal preference is right at the begining of the dorsal fin but everyone has a spot they like that works for them. I've had guys tell me right through both eyes, down through both lips, just in front of the tail. I agree 100% with the action of the bait fish should appear crippled or wounded, live easy meal. What ever works best for you.
    Don

10. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    We went to the Miss. last weekend and did ok once we got to the right spot. Fished down below the Keokuck dam and the water was really moving. We had to use 6oz weights to hold the bottom. i tried 3oz and it wouldn't work. After a while we decieded to go above the dam and thats when we caught 9 nice [2 to 3 pound ] channels. caught them on dip bait in 3to 5feet of water on a sand flat. I am ready to go back again but have to wait. the gas prices are slowing me down and it takes a lot to get that done:big_smile: