First Time Out

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Eudora, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I just went out this afternoon for the first time this year. The River Raisin was high, but I still managed to catch a small (1 lb -- maybe) channel on cut shad. It felt good to be out there, man this winter has lasted way too long. I ended up on stretch between Monroe and Dundee. The dog had a ball, it was good to see her back in all her glory. Hope you all get out soon.

Andy

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats good you caught one it makes ya look forward to warmer temps huh

3. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Congrats on the catch. They will get bigger with the water warming up.

4. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    That warm weather can make its presence felt anyday now. I went out today in the same spot and only got a small bite. The wind was blowing quite a bit. Hope you guys do well.

5. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    I got out Sunday on the Huron. I didn't get a bite, but it still felt good just getting my line wet.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Where on the Huron do you fish? My In laws live on Portage Lake, near Dexter. I have taken a canoe, from just off of US 23, through the chain of lakes, down stream to Dexter. We didn't fish much, just took a canoe trip.
    Sparky

7. ittybittykitty

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Hi Sparky. I was down in Lower Huron Metro Park. Below Belleville. I haven't fished above Portage Lake for cats yet, plan to this summer. In the summer, though, I like to fish from North Territorial down to Barton Dam. Just about every decent clump of wood holds fish. And it doesn't need to be too big to be decent. I've caught fish out of single downed trees. By the way, you floated through some great smallmouth water. Might pick up some pike, walleyes and largemouth as well.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to give that area a try this summer. Can you give me some input on access the the river from Barton dam up stream.
    Thanks in advance
    Sparky

9. ittybittykitty

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Hey, Sparky. These are the accesses I use. I'll use a "w" if it's wade only, a "c" if you can launch a canoe or cartopper. Startind downstream from Portage Lake: The Bell Rd. bridge site off Dexter-Pinkney Rd. (W), Hudson Mills Metro Park off North Territorial (C), Mast Rd. bridge (c) as a drop off point- no parking area - there is a party store on the North side, Dexter Huron Metro Park (C), Zeeb Rd. bridge (w) The sign in the parking lot says no fishhing- however as long as you aren't standing on the shore I don't think they can do anything, Delhi Metro Park (C) This one is on the South shore with access by way of East Delhi Rd. off of Miller Rd. (Delhi Rd. Bridge is closed) - There is a canoe launch there but you can't use it - you can use the portion just upstream or the bigger part below the rapids, the bridge where Huron River drive crosses the river (C), Heading downriver on Huron River Drive past Wagner Rd. to the head of Barton Pond there is a pull off (C), Last is the spot before Maple Rd. where the railroad crosses the river (C) - I've seen people launch trailered boats here, I've also seen them get stuck - also there is a motor limitation on Barton Pond. Because of the bridge replacement/dam removal in Dexter access is closed to Mill Creek. I hope this helps.