First time out with new crawfish trap

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 10gaOkie, Jun 21, 2008.

1. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Recently, I picked up a new crawfish trap at Walmart for $7. Last night I baited it up with a couple slices of bread, a strip of salt pork and a handfull of range cubes and set it out at a local creek that runs through a city park. This morning, I ran it the first time and was surprised to find zero crawfish. When I was a kid, 45 years ago, I caught tons of them in that very same spot on a rod and reel. Instead, it was packed full of small, 1 1/2" bluegills....which, is even better catfish bait IMO.
    Chris

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    over the last few years I have noticed a decline in the crawdad population, in the creeks where I am from. Dont know if it is from polution or not.....

I would rather have the small bluegills anyway........

Did you catch any cats?

3. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Boomer,
    No small cats yet. But I caught them in that same spot when I was a kid. Speaking of kids, hope that one doesn't find my trap. I have it and its line hid pretty well, I hope. Nothing but small bluegill so far. I just checked it again this evening and it only had a few in it. I need to rebait close to sun down. The hole in the trap is pretty small, but not small enough to keep a snake out! By the way, I set up an old aquarium for my bluegill, keeping them healthy until I am ready to use them.
    Chris

4. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    yes try to keep it away from kids cause they will steal your trap i know from experience. even though i am not an adult but it seems kids have less respect for things now days

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You would probably have much better luck using a seine in a creek somewhere.A few passes and its fishing time.

6. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes, the seine would be the way to go in a typical creek. However, the spots where I am trapping are in the deep holes that are five to six foot deep, best I can tell. I would either need my chest waders or swim trunks to seine it. I have thought about using my casting net but was afraid of getting it hung up on the possible nasties in the creek. There is no telling what is submerged in that creek as a car door and a shopping cart are visible. Personally, I don't care to wade around in that creek anyway. I'm having fun with the trap.
    Chris

7. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa

I recently had a trap stolen by a group of teenagers. The place that I had placed the trap is visible from the road and I was going to check it until I saw a group of people there fishing so I decided that I wouldnt disturb them and come back later to check it so I drove by. I guess that was my mistake because when i returned it was gone. The lack of respect for other people and there property from ALL people, not just teenagers, anymore upsets me. Its just a few dollars I know, and I can spare that for a new trap, but the principle upsets me more than anything. :sad2:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think crawfish generally hang out in shallow water. They don't want the deep water as in most places that is considered to be the dining table. Like Boomer, I think the pesticides and fertilizers used over the past decades has pretty much destroyed the crawfish population. I must admit I haven't looked hard over the past two or three years, but I have looked. All the land being posted don't help either.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Nothing wrong with that brother,sounds like in your situation the trap might be the way to go,and hey its all about having fun so i say go for it.

10. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just curious, what are you using to bait your traps? I've found the crawfish around here to be picky from time to time. Most of the time i get cheap cans of cat food, if that isnt working i usually use chicken gizzards and livers.