First time out in a boat on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by e'villeman, Nov 16, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Ok boats fixed gears ready Lunch is packed! 11-16 Sat going to make my maiden voyage on the Ohio to find those elusive lunkers! Me and wifes going to take out in the Am and hunt for somekind of hole to try ~ darn things so big really dont know where to start but the boat ramps a good start..:p
    you ALL WISH ME LUCK! maybe i can come back with a few nice pics. Hope that river risings a good thing, bank fishing just aint cutting it!..:p

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    good luck on your first trip out im heading out first light myself going to hit the shad hole first thing an head up river good luck to u an your wife

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    congrats roger ... hope everything runs good and works out great for ya.

4. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    will give ya a call DAve working on getting a sitter for my youngins' atm

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i should be out there somewere..

6. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i'll be the one running around looking lost..:p

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    you guys are so lucky to be able to go fishin on a saturday

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were you out there today roger? i was looking for you.. i pretty well got skunked had a few rip line and drop it that was about it.. !!

9. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Bah didnt get out till almost 1pm today so we decided to go to lynnville to try the motor out ~ once i got it started it idles funny ( not enough fuelmaybe) but once i put her in gear and open throttle WOW! she took off like a jet! keept doing that thinking it might need to be blown out or something (seemed to help when i went back to idle) only catch was an 18" channel my 7 yr old caught with a crappie jig with a piece of shad on the hook, amazing 4 poles around him and he catch's something on that crazy rig..rofl. My wife told me thats it for her ( to cold) and "go learn how to fish and she'll take my holes this spring!..lol ~ was going to go solo (eck!) sunday but its her b-day so gonna hang around and be nice to her (hey it's only 1 day a year i think i just may be able to pull this off!) hope everyone done better than me

10. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    ok got out on the ohio today grabbed some fresh shad and went to work..tried by by river front area in evansville ~no luck at all shot across to Ky side and tried the more shallow drifts 6-14ft no luck, but out towards middle 22-27 ft. still no bites (barge was coming so had to pull up stakes and move) hey got a strange question river flows down river right? well why when i cast down river with an 8oz. sinker, it sinks then runs up river? tried this in shallow water and the deeper water evansville side it flowed logically( down river) strangest thing i ever saw casting down river and watching it sink then run upriver at the bottom...hrmm 1. wasent drinking 2. wasent hot so wasent heat related 3. checked with mental clinic (they say i'm not crazy)
    ok guys what gives yesterday skined de-headed a cat and gutted him then when i started to filet him every time i touched it it would curl up, fileted on side flipped it over and when i touched its tail it curled up on that said....ok if noone has answers i'm gonna contact a priest, so help me out the shock of me in the church may be to much for him..rofl

11. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    e'villeman

Have you ever seen that submarine coming up or going down the river ? I know a couple of people that has seen them. it could be causing the fish that thing !! called curlled Itis !!:eek:oooh:

12. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh I forgot to tell you we do have our own Mental clinic and priest on the board if you ever need to talk to anyone call JW or just PM him he will talk to you all night and cure that problem

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This delima is caused by DH when he walks at the riverfront in Henderson barefooted. It effects the nerves in these fish and makes them swim against the current, that is how they made their way to Evansville, LOL!!!

14. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Rofl.. now thats funny, so thats normal? your sinker and bait running back up river? under-tow or somthing happening? me and wifes thinking aobut trying and finding the blow-out caused by the tug-boats tomorrow, ran down river a bit and found much deepr water and an almost vertical clay shore line, may anchor at the top and let the bait drift down and see what happens.

15. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i have to admit river fishing and lake or pond fishing is night and day all togethor..

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    try to keep releasing line until your bait hits the bottom and you shouldnt have that problem with it looking like its coming back at you .. i bet your not letting it keep taking line after it hits the water are you?

17. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    no didnt think cast wait a sec then locked spool down ~ just keep letting it take line till it stops?

18. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    yeah ur not letting it hit the bottom out where u cast ... adam is right let the line out till it stops. then when it hits u can lock it and tighten it up accordingly.

19. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    nope not even a nibble ~ blaming it on operator error for now ~ but not gonna let it get me down just need more ToTW studing the bottom and such. Godd thing about a boat if ya dont catch anything you can still drive around and have fun..:p

20. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    hey guys how is the bait at the pipes was there last week an it was full