First Time on the Upper Neuse

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by crankbait77, Sep 22, 2008.

1. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well Jason (JAYNC) and I finally gave in to temptation to travel to Smithfield for the Eastern Carolina Catfish Tournament Trail event. With the cost of gas these days it was a hard sale, but in the end it turned out to be well worth the trip. The tournament started at 3:00 PM, and weigh in was not until 11:00 AM, so we had plenty of time to move around and get a feel for what we wanted to do. We started off the night with our first fish in the boat at 8:10 PM, and it was one heck of an ice breaker, a flathead that weighed in at 44.65 pounds. We caught four more fish before we moved, unless you count the anchors getting fulled by the fish and current and crashing my boat into a downed tree. We had to adapt to the heavy current, and start tying to structure instead of anchoring. Shortly after the change in tactics I hooked up with what we knew to be a big flathead, but about half way to the boat in open water the leader failed. When I say failed I mean it snapped in the middle by strait force. If you are wondering what size leader I was using it was 80 pound test. The best guess we could make was that the fish was in the 50 to 60 pound range and in the heavy current when I tried to bring the fish up the leader just could not hold. The current was in the 6500 to 7000 cubic feet per second range, maybe higher. We got past the hurt feelings over the one that got away, and got into more fish, the best one was just after dawn. Jason woke up from catching a nap, and while I was explaining what he had missed one of the rods beside him doubled. After a healthy fight he was greated with a good morning grin from a 38.5 pound flathead.

In all we caught 16 fish, and our total weight was 135 pounds. That was enough for 2nd in the tournament, and the first fish of the night took big fish by 1.6 pounds. We had a great time, and appreciate the invitation from Gary (CATFISHGARY1) of the Eastern Carolina Catfish Tournament Trail who put on a great event. The pictures attached are of the two big flatheads that we brought in, and the other is of our total stringer just before being weighed. Hope you all enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jason was greeted, not greated.:eek:oooh:

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    yeah that was a nice wake up call. as soon as I sat up from my nap I asked him if we had any bites and I looked over and saw the rod next to me bounce pretty hard, and it was the 38lb flat. It was a great trip, the river up there is awesome, I just wish it was deep enough to fish all year.

4. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congrats to both of you. To go on water that you usually don't fish and get fish like that is a great trip to me....:wink:

5. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    reps to both of ya.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like a pretty dang good trip for it being the first time on that particular section of the river.

7. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    Nice flats, guest that answers my question about any big fish up this way. Nice job.:wink:

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This river has convinced me that if you are willing to get out and go after the fish, as long as there is enough water for them to get around you can catch them. I just wish that the river stayed at a reasonable level, rather than constant droubt until huricane season.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would like to go up there again and fish it soon. There are a lot of nice spots that we saw but didn't fish. Seems like the cats up there are starving right now.

10. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    That's good to hear, how was access to the river?

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    we put in at the boat ramp behind the tackle shop in goldsboro. Its five dollars to park there. The ramp is decent, just not too much room to tie the boat to the bank for loading and unloading.

12. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    the ramps in smithfield , glad to see you guys had a good time and caught some great fish man got to say the first tounry we had that there were five teams over 100 lbs. and congrats on winning that big fish also ,i do agree wish she would stay up but then you might have those darn bush hookers killing it off dont want to see that happen they should have the pics and stuff up shortly on the tourny in the tourny section

13. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am sure Jason meant Smithfield, but as tired as we were after the tournament who knows where he thought we were.:eek:oooh:

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I guess we were in smithfield, sorry wasn't thinking. It was a great tournament with a good turn out. As for the championship, I know we haven't fished enough to qualify for it but can we still fish it.

15. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    yes you still can fish it the only thing that does this year is the shopping spree at e-z bait ,hope to see you guys there and hope i can do half of what you guys done this past weakend

16. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    the river is still looking good just hope it stays that way for the tourny on oct. 25th

17. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Hopefully it stays up, just depends on how much more water they want to let out of the lake or if it keeps raining.

18. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Wondering if anyone has advice on the water level when fishing the upper neuse. I have only ventured out when it has been relatively low (Falls dam discharge 105-115 ft3/s or so). Because of the recent rain, they are really letting water out and I assume the river is really high. Are the cats still bitting? Do you change your rigs/baits/locations/tactics w/ rising water? Mostly fishing in Raleigh b/w Milburnie dam and Auburn Knightdale Rd. Thanks.