First time on the river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by osage, Aug 8, 2006.

1. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    What do you think is the best way to fish the Mo. for the first time let someone take you or just put the boat in the water and go. I have been wanting to go but with all the stories I'm a little timid.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would let someone take you first..A big river can be an intimadating place for someone who has never been on it. Also by letting someone take you out, you can see how they set up and how they fish the river. I have been fishing the Ohio for about 10 years, and I hired a guide to take me out the first time..Not only did i learn thr river a little, but i also learned how to go about locating, and fishing for the catfish,,I would strongly recommend either hiring a good guide, or finding someone who fishes the river on a regular basis.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What Riverking said.

It's pretty spooky the first couple of times out on the river, at least it was for me. That current is disorienting if you're used to sitting on a lake and there are hidden dangers that you don't really want to discover on your own. Night adds a whole new dimension to the spooky factor and can make what would be a minor issue during the daytime turn into a major problem real quick.

I've been on the river now probably a dozen times and feel a whole lot more comfortable than I first did. Still manage to learn something new on every trip though. Latest lesson was on jumping carp...

A guide would be a great way to get introduced to the river. If you hire one, make it clear that you aren't just along for the ride but that you want to learn how to safely conduct yourself out on the river - catching fish with the guide should be a secondary goal.

Barring that, find someone who knows the river and let them show you around a time or two. Then venture out in your own boat when you feel ready.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you're in a boat don't go alone take an expeienced river fisherman that has a boat with you. I have a friend who has been on the Missouri several times in a boat who always went with someone who knows the river.She said there are alot od submerged debri that the boat easily hits and she also knew of one that ruined his boat prop,so no please do not go by yourself!----pk powell:eek:oooh:

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it depends a lot on your level of experience with your boat and fishing rivers in general. Unless you have a lot of experience in both categories I would also recommend having someone come along who can show you the ropes. If for no other reason its probably like swimming, you are better off having someone with you in case something goes wrong.

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I agree with river. I have fished the Missouri river for years, You can get into trouble very quickly if you have never been on a big river like this before. The water is very swift in some places and calm in others this can cause a lot of problems. there are a lot of logs, rocks, and stumps just under the surface and if you don't know how to read the water it can cost you your boat. Having someone that has run the river a lot take you the first time. Hope this helps

7. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    Thanks for the advice. I due have alot of experience in the smaller rivers like the osage and Sac but I know these are alot easier to navigate. even when it is runnin heavy and full of logs. Logs and Barges are two different puppies. ( Well more like a puppy and bulldog) :eek:oooh:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have to agree. Go with someone until you feel like you can do it by your self.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I have yet to see a barge on the Missouri around Kansas City. From what I can gather, the amount of commercial traffic at this end of the river is almost nil.

10. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    There is no way i would venture out on the river for the first time by myself!! There are certain ways to navigate a channelized river. There are certain things you learn to look for and certain ways to follow channel markers. Learning how to spot these things is top priority but it takes someone showing you to figure this out.

11. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Jason, everyone here is giving you some good advice. The Mo. is a fantastic fishery but there are a hundred ways to get in trouble out there and it can happen in the blink of an eye. So do go with someone experienced your first time, your first few times out would be even better cause there is way too much to learn in one or two trips. And after that just go slow for quite awhile and give yourself time to learn all you can . I'd concentrate on one section, maybe a couple miles up and down for a few months. About any section like that should show you most of what you need to know, then you can move on to farther areas. Don't rush it. I don't want to scare you off it, I encourage you to fish this great river, just do so carefully. Your profile doesn,t say where you are from. If you are anywhere near New Haven, I'd be glad to fish with you some to get you started. I fish the Mo. just about every weekend until duck season starts. Jack

12. osage

osage New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo.
    Thanks for the offer Jack, unfortunately I live in grain valley about 15 minutes from KC. Where do you duck hunt? I go to grand pass alot.

13. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I hunt the same stretch that I fish on, not exactly a hot spot for waterfowl but we do alright . I usually hunt Mark Twain once or twice a year and been to Truman a few times. Long drive for me though , to Truman, so I don't go there often. great duck hunting there though. I've never been to Grand Pass but hear it's a good spot. Good luck with learning the Mo. I was raised on the Mississippi, in Iowa but I'm hooked on the big Muddy now. What a river!