First time on the Monongahela River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by tbartek, Aug 19, 2006.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Friday night I took my first trip to the Mon river. Part of the night I fished at the Elizabeth boat launch. Only caught one channel about 12". Then around 1:30 AM met up with Mark Smith (catchinghogs) who took me to one of his spots on the west side of the river. As soon as we got poles in the water Mark had a real good run on a sucker that ended up in a snag. That was the only run we had on suckers or bluegill. After Mark left around 3:30 I changed one rod over to chicken liver and proceded to feed the fish for the next hour. I got bite after bite on the liver but wasn't able to land anything. I finally packed up around 4:45 AM. I want to send a special THANK YOU! out to Mark who put me on to two nice spots on the Mon. Even though he had been up for almost 24 hours he took the time to personally take me to one of his spots and set me up. I also want to thank the BOC because if not for this web site I doubt that I would have ever had the pleasure to meet such a great fisherman as Mark Smith. When the weather and water cools back down in September I'm planning another trip to hit the Mon and hope I can hook up with Mark again.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Tim - You hooked up with the right guy on the Mon. river. Mark knows how to catch the big 'uns! I agree with you about this website being able to unite Catfishermen who otherwise may have never met!:big_smile:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I just hope its one you members over there that breaks the Pa. state flathead record. Ive been keeping an eye on the Beaver river and Mon threads. Good luck to you all.

4. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    If anyone does it wolfman my money would be on Mark Smith!